Friday, May 3, 2024

Notre Dame to require weekly surveillance testing for spring semester, introduces new coronavirus code of conduct

This report was updated Jan. 22 at 9:05 p.m.

The University will alter its COVID-19 response to include weekly surveillance testing and has adopted a supplemental code of conduct to discipline students who fail to abide by the health and safety guidelines, leadership in the Division of Student Affairs announced Thursday.

Weekly surveillance testing will begin Feb. 3 to curb the transmission of the virus and all undergraduate and professional students will be required to participate. In addition, as administrators identify potential clusters or hot spots, some students will be asked to complete additional testing.

All students will also complete a pre-matriculation test on campus at the University Testing Center. The primary surveillance testing method will be through saliva samples, and nasal swab testing will be employed as needed.

A COVID-19 addendum has been added to du Lac to establish consequences to those who do not abide by health and safety guidelines. Students who do not show up for surveillance testing will be placed on probation after the first offense and be issued a formal warning.

“It is important to note that missed testing appointments will be tracked throughout the semester,” the Testing Overview site states. “In other words, If you miss your testing appointment on Week 1, show up for your tests on Weeks 2, 3 and 4, but miss on Week 5, you are subject to the consequences for a second missed test.”

A student who misses a test for the second time will be placed on COVID Probation and will be required to meet with an OCS representative, according to the addendum. If a student on COVID Probation fails to report for surveillance testing, they will face COVID Dismissal, the addendum said.

If students violate other portions of the Campus Compact, such as not wearing masks or failing to follow other safety guidelines, students will receive a message detailing the offense and a recommended disciplinary outcome.

Students can submit relevant information within 24 hours of receiving notice of their violation. Failure to respond will result in the immediate implementation of the recommended outcome.

“There is no right to a formal hearing at any stage of the Administrative Process,” the addendum states. “All outcomes under this Administrative Process, with the exception of COVID Dismissal, will not be disclosed as student conduct records under the University’s Conduct Record Reporting Policy.”

Students may only file appeals if assigned COVID Dismissal.

COVID Dismissal can also be applied for violating quarantine or isolation guidelines, hosting large gatherings and for “serious, repeated or flagrant violations of Compact commitments.” Relevant information may be submitted in response to the dismissal notice within 48 hours of receiving the note. Failure to respond will result in the immediate implementation of the dismissal.

Students may apply for readmission for the upcoming fall semester only if they follow OCS requirements listed in their notice of dismissal.