-

-

irish insider

Podcast: Irish Insider — Rose Bowl 2021

| Friday, January 1, 2021

Season greetings. A merry belated Christmas and happy early New Year’s to you and yours.

We recorded this Dec. 28, but when Notre Dame takes the field in Dallas to play Alabama in the Rose Bowl — yes, a Rose Bowl in Dallas — the calendar will have flipped to 2021. So long 2020, and thank you to all our loyal listeners who have stuck it out with us through a year that has been crazy not just for college football but in virtually every facet of life.

On this edition of the Basement Breakdown, the trio of Sports Editor Hayden Adams, Senior Sports Writer Charlotte Edmonds and Sports Writer Aidan Thomas:

• Recap Notre Dame’s 34-10 loss to Clemson in Charlotte in the ACC Championship game (0:33) and preview the Irish taking on the Crimson Tide for the first time since 2012 (6:18).
  • The group also highlights Notre Dame’s numerous accolades and briefly discusses the College Football Playoff and what they think of the selections/rankings (18:42).
  • As always, Fact-or-Fiction: Do the Irish suffer another devastating quarter against the Tide as they did against Clemson in Charlotte and two years ago at the Cotton Bowl? Is this Notre Dame team as good as the Alabama team that crushed the Irish in 2012? (26:15)
  • Time for a new segment. It doesn’t have an official name, but “This-or-That” or “Would You Rather?” will suffice (credit to Aidan for introducing this bit where we give our preferences for hypothetical scenarios). Would you rather the Irish key in on DeVonta Smith or Najee Harris? Who would you want taking a jet sweep/end-around for Notre Dame? If it’s fourth-and-goal with one final play to win the game, what are you drawing up? What’s the one trick play you’d pull out in this matchup? Plus a few more nuts and bolts for discussion (35:18).
  • And, finally, predictions, albeit not very optimistic ones (1:05:52).

The Basement Breakdown is available on AnchorSpotify, Google Podcasts, Breaker and RadioPublic. You can listen there or in the player below.

Please consider following the podcast and checking us out on Twitter: @ObserverSports, @HaydenAdamsND, @jimmyyward, @char_edmonds99 and @GeyerEllen

Tags: , , , , ,