-

-

irish insider

Podcast: Wrapping up the 2020 Notre Dame football season

| Saturday, January 16, 2021

It’s the 2020 season wrap episode of the Basement Breakdown. Four of our five football beat members — sports editor Hayden Adams, senior sports writers Charlotte Edmonds and Ellen Geyer, sports writer Aidan Thomas — got together to hash out a variety of topics:

• Notre Dame’s 31-14 loss to Alabama — now the national champs — in the Rose Bowl in Dallas (00:29).
  • Wisconsin transfer QB Jack Coan committing to the Irish and the outlook for/possibility of elite quarterback play in the coming seasons (15:30).
  • NFL and transfer decisions from last season’s roster (36:02).
  • An unexpected debate over the need (or lack thereof) for College Football Playoff expansion; thanks, Charlotte (41:10).
  • Notre Dame’s home run/grand slam/slam dunk defensive coordinator hire of Marcus Freeman; is he an upgrade, a downgrade or a net neutral after Clark Lea’s three years as DC in South Bend (46:27)?
  • Fact-or-Fiction returns once again: Notre Dame has three different QBs getting meaningful snaps next season (52:14)? Tommy Tremble’s departure is a net gain offensively (59:42)? ND at No. 15 in the way-too-early preseason poll is a fair placement (1:04:16)? The Class of 2022 is Notre Dame’s highest rated recruiting class ever under Brian Kelly (1:08:08)?
  • And we end with parting words from our football beat reflecting on the 2020 college football season; we share our favorite moments and what it meant to us to be able to cover Notre Dame football in this most unprecedented of seasons (1:14:04).

Thank you to everyone who has supported the podcast this year. It’s been a blast for us and we hope it’s been the same for you.

The Basement Breakdown is available on AnchorSpotify, Google Podcasts, Breaker and RadioPublic. You can listen on any of those platforms or in the player below.

Please consider following the podcast and checking us out on Twitter: @ObserverSports, @HaydenAdamsND, @jimmyyward, @char_edmonds99 and @GeyerEllen.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,