The Observer elects Editor-in-Chief for upcoming term

The Observer General Board elected News Writer and social media strategist Adriana Perez as Editor-in-Chief for the 2021-2022 term Monday.

“Adriana is deeply committed to reliable journalism and well-versed in many sections of The Observer,” current Editor-in-Chief Maria Leontaras said. “Her knowledge and compassion will make her a great Editor-in-Chief. I have no doubt that Adriana will only continue to grow and inspire others to work hard and take the paper to the next level.”

At Notre Dame, Perez calls Farley Hall her home. She is a junior pursuing a major in political science with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy.

1611153101-a01183854d7e784-700x543
The Observer General Board elected Adriana Perez to be the Editor-in-Chief for the 2021-2022 term.
The Observer General Board elected junior Adriana Perez to be the Editor-in-Chief for the 2021-2022 term.

“I owe The Observer and its people so much, and I feel honored and humbled to have this opportunity to lead it in serving the tri-campus community in the coming year,” Perez said. “I am incredibly grateful to the outgoing Editorial Board for the trust they have placed in me, as well as for their constant guidance and encouragement. I will do my best to live up to the great work they have accomplished.”

Though she was born in Miami, Florida, Perez has lived her whole life in Guayaquil, Ecuador, from where her family hails. Perez began working for The Observer’s From the Archives project in 2019 and then became co-host of the paper’s Viewpoint podcast, The Sixth Seat, in early 2020. 

She also began writing for the Notre Dame News department last spring. In the fall semester, she became a social media strategist, helping to manage the newspaper’s Twitter account. 

Perez will begin her term as Editor-in-Chief on March 7.