-

-

Campus election season

| Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The campaigning period for student body president and vice president began yesterday. The leadership and members of the Election Committee of the Judicial Council have been hard at work to make this election season a possibility as we battle the coronavirus pandemic. We are very excited to announce that three tickets were able to secure enough of your signatures to officially become candidates for the student body elections. Listed in alphabetical order by last name of the presidential candidate, they are:

Allan Njomo and Matthew Bisner

Max Siegel and Zachary Holland

Mabry Webb and Jacob Calpey

To the student body: Thank you for your participation so far in this election by engaging with potential candidates and signing their petitions. Over the next week, you will have the chance to hear more detail from the aspiring student leaders about important issues at Notre Dame. Pay close attention to the tickets running to represent you for the next year as they elucidate their platforms on social media, on campus and in the debate (more on that below). Finally, please exercise your right to vote for the ticket you want to see in office on Wednesday, Feb. 24, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., via an online form which Judicial Council will send to you.

To the candidates: This is your opportunity to display the most important planks of your platform and differentiate yourself from other tickets. By engaging in the respectful but rigorous discourse for which Notre Dame is known, you will get the chance to voice the opinions and policies which motivated you to run for elected office. While staying mindful at all times of the elections regulations, the Campus Compact and other regulations on campus, continue to find ways to adapt to this unprecedented campaign and reach voters with your message. Notre Dame students embody creativity, and we wish you luck in overcoming these challenges, but we know you all will impress us. Last, the Election Committee considers allegations of election misconduct with great seriousness, but we hope there will be no need to conduct such hearings. Let’s make this a clean, fair and substantive election cycle.

To current members of the Student Union: It is of utmost importance that you are aware of the election regulations, especially those regulations surrounding endorsements.  Article XV, Section 1(g) of the Constitution of the Undergraduate Student Body prescribes the specifics as to which positions, offices, residence halls or organizations may not endorse tickets. Please understand if you are bound by this clause, you may not give any public, formal or organized indication of support to any ticket or candidate, including via social media. When in doubt, we strongly encourage you to err on the side of caution and distance yourself from the race. This will help your privately favored ticket to avoid controversy and prevent you from becoming the subject of an ethics allegation.

Finally, we’re pleased to announce that the 2021 Student Body Debate will take a slightly different form this year to account for the health and safety of the candidates and the student body.  On Monday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m., the 2021 Town Hall Q&A will be hosted by the Election Committee and partnered with NDtv to broadcast throughout the student centers across campus, including Midfield Commons in Duncan Student Center as well as LaFortune Student Center. It will be a town hall style discussion in which each ticket has equal, uninterrupted time to respond to your questions and lay out their campaign platform. We urge the student body to tune into this Town Hall Q&A live to gain the best insight into those running for the highest offices in the Student Union. More details on this Town Hall Q&A will be sent to the student body via email this Friday.

It is obvious that the necessary restrictions on large gatherings in the dining halls, student centers and campus meeting areas will create a chasm of communication and interaction between candidates and members of the student body. With this in mind, we ask that you submit your questions for the candidates directly to the Election Committee via the Google Form on the Judicial Council website. We aim to provide you with an opportunity to have your questions answered by candidates during their time to speak at the Town Hall Q&A.

Any questions about how this election cycle will play out are best directed to [email protected], as are any allegations of election misconduct. Please see the Judicial Council website for election regulations, timeline and more information.

Have a great week, and Go Irish!

In Notre Dame,

Thomas Davis 

Judicial Council President

junior

David Haungs 

Judicial Council Vice President of Elections

sophomore

Feb. 16

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]