-

-

ND Women’s Golf

First-year Schiavone leads Notre Dame to 12th place finish to open season

| Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Eleven months after having their 2019-2020 season cut short during a practice round for the Clover Cup, the Notre Dame’s women’s golf team is finally back in action. The Irish rallied for a 12th place finish in their first action of the 2021 season at the Purdue’s Heroes Ladies Intercollegiate at the Founders Club in Sarasota, Fla. The Irish were fighting an uphill battle heading into Tuesday, the last day of the competition, sitting at 13th of 14 teams, but were able to card a final-round score of 298 and move up one spot to finish 12th in the competition. They were led by first-year Chloe Schiavone and senior Abby Heck. 

Schiavone finished tied 28th-overall in her Irish debut as she and Heck both notched final round scores of 73. However, the Irish got off to a poor start in first-round action and were playing catch up for the rest of the tournament, but they were able to make up some ground in the next two rounds. The Irish had two golfers card rounds over 80 in the first round, but did not have any more scores that high for the rest of the tournament.

Heck led the Irish on the first day of action as she carded a round score of 77. Schiavone and sophomore Madelyn Jones were just a stroke back at 78. Schiavone played the par-3 holes at a two-under-par clip which ranked fifth among the 75-player field and she topped it all off with a total of four birdies in her final round. Jones was able to card a final round score of 75. While junior Claire Albrecht trailed close behind at 77. Sophomore Lauren Beaudreau was also able to score for the Irish in the final round as she rounded out the field for the team with a score of 78. 

The Irish will be back in action again in the Sunshine State in a couple of weeks when they travel back for the 2021 Florida State Match-Up at the Seminole Legacy Golf Club in Tallahassee from Feb. 26-28.