-

-

Football

Former Irish DL Louis Nix III dead at 29

| Saturday, February 27, 2021

This report was updated at 9:05 p.m.

The mother of Louis Nix III has announced that the former Notre Dame defensive lineman has passed away at the age of 29.

A missing persons report had been filed stating that Nix had not been seen or heard from since departing his father’s house in Jacksonville on Tuesday. Nix was the victim of a shooting when he was robbed while putting air into his tires in December. He was released from the hospital on Dec. 19 and had been attending physical therapy.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office announced via Twitter that he had been found. His condition was not immediately made available, but shortly before the announcement, police pulled a car matching the description of Nix’s 2014 Hyundai Azera from a pond at an apartment complex where Nix was believed to have lived.

Nix was a member of the Irish from 2010-2013 and was drafted by the Houston Texans before injuries derailed any NFL momentum. “Irish Chocolate,” as he was known, recorded 122 total tackles, 14.0 for loss and 2.5 sacks in three seasons of action in South Bend, with his best year coming as a junior member of the Notre Dame defense that carried the Irish to the 2013 BCS national championship game.

Tags: ,