-

-

SAO, Campus Dining prepare to host ‘WinterFest: Love at Frost Sight’

| Friday, February 12, 2021

The cold temperatures and snow predicted for this weekend would be, for many, enough of an excuse to stay in and have a cozy movie night. But this Saturday, the Student Activities Office (SAO) has other plans for Notre Dame students: WinterFest.

In fact, the weather “only helps to enhance the [WinterFest] theme and provide an added backdrop to the Love at Frost Sight part of our theme,” Alicia Bates, SAO assistant director of student programming, said in an email. 

Courtesy of Alicia Bates
The Student Activities Office and Campus Dining will be offering Valentine’s Day-themed activities and food around Notre Dame’s campus against the cold, wintery backdrop of a mid-February weekend.

SAO will nonetheless keep an eye on the temperatures and make adjustments should they be needed, Bates added.

Bates said this is the first year SAO will be hosting WinterFest in collaboration with Campus Dining.

“This comes off the heels of the three successful festivals we hosted in the fall (Harvest Fest, Halloween Spooktacular and ThankfulFest) and hearing students desire to have more campus-wide programs such as this,” she said.

This year’s theme, “Love at Frost Sight,” combines the seasonal winter ambiance with Valentine’s Day celebrations. Between 4 and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, both dining halls will offer a special dinner with themed desserts to students who have meal plans.

“It is our hope that WinterFest offers students a fun and healthy event that allows them to get out of their rooms, make friends, relax their minds and just have fun for the evening,” Bates said.

From 8 to 11 p.m., activities across campus will range from mechanical snowboarding on North Quad to laser tag in Stepan Center to “Snowga,” or cold yoga.

Because of COVID-related capacity restrictions, Bates said, online pre-registration is required to participate in most events.

“As of 9 p.m. on Tuesday, we had over 700 registrants for the events,” Bates said.

Most of the activities have already reached registration capacity.

As of Thursday night, only three events had free spots: Rom Com Trivia at Legends, an ice sculpture scavenger hunt around campus and canvas painting at Dankhe Ballroom from 9 to 11 p.m.

For those who are unable to pre-register for these events, however, SAO will offer other activities, such as the opportunity to make crafts and winter stuffed animals in both North and South Lodges. Both dining halls will offer free hot cocoa from 8 to 11 p.m.

The Notre Dame Student Union Board will also have two “Chick Flick-A” showings of “The Broken Hearts Gallery” in 101 DeBartolo Hall at 5:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. It will serve free Chick-fil-A food in front of DeBartolo at 6:30 p.m.

About Adriana Perez

Adriana is a Notre Dame senior from Guayaquil, Ecuador, majoring in political science and minoring in the Gallivan Program of Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. She is currently serving as Editor-in-Chief of The Observer for the 2021-2022 term. You can find her at @adrianamperezr on Twitter.

Contact Adriana