-

-

scene

The Trophy Hunter: Golden Globes reactions, part 2

| Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Mary O'Reilly

Last week, I covered the Golden Globes’ Best Motion Picture categories. Here, I’ll run through some of the other nominations from what is shaping up to be 2021’s most entertaining, most baffling awards show. 

Best Motion Picture — Foreign Language

For the second straight year, casual awards show viewers are reminded of the Globes’ head-scratching ruling that foreign language films cannot compete for Best Picture and are instead shunted off to their own section of the show. Once again, this practice may just be delaying the inevitable — A24’s “Minari” seems potentially primed to mirror “Parasite”’s dominant run in 2020, one which started in earnest when Bong Joon-ho’s film earned a standing ovation for its single Globe. 

Prediction: “Minari”

Spoiler: “Another Round”

Best Screenplay — Motion Picture

This may come down to a duel between Netflix’s two awards darlings, as the built-in narrative of “Mank” — written by David Fincher’s late father, Jack — battles the self-congratulatory, hand-wringing Sorkinisms of “Chicago 7.” Whatever. “Soul” got screwed. 

Prediction: “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

Spoiler: “Promising Young Woman”

Snub: “Soul”

Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama

More than any other acting category, Lead Actor is all but locked up, with virtually every awards prognosticator treating Chadwick Boseman as a shoo-in for his final role in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.” This category, then, could serve as a bellwether for the remaining four noms come Oscar night. Will surprise nods for Riz Ahmed and Tahar Rahim carry them through the rest of awards season, or will more established actors take their place?

Prediction: Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”

Snub: John Magaro, “First Cow”

Best Actress in a Motion Picture — Drama

This is perhaps the most fascinating category in terms of predicting the SAG, BAFTA and Academy Awards. Barring a surprising upset, one of the trio of Frances McDormand, Carey Mulligan and Viola Davis could bolster their cases for Oscar glory with a win — and if that happens, their respective movies may jump to the front of a crowded Best Picture conversation. 

Prediction: Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”

Spoiler: Frances McDormand, “Nomadland”

Snub: Julia Garner, “The Assistant”

Best Actor/Best Actress in a Motion Picture — Comedy

These categories are usually the least predictive for future awards; between separating comedy from drama and the idiosyncrasies of the HFPA, plenty of outright winners in these slots haven’t even been nominated at the Oscars or SAGs. That being said, one of this award season’s most fascinating contenders was nominated in each of these categories, with Sacha Baron Cohen and Maria Bakalova pulling down nods for their work in “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.” Bakalova, in particular, has been riding a groundswell of support for her performance; a win here may portend future trophies. 

Predictions: Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Hamilton;” Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”

Spoilers: Sacha Baron Cohen, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm;” Kate Hudson, “Music”

Snubs: Pete Davidson, “The King of Staten Island;” Cristin Milioti, “Palm Springs”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Jake Winningham

Contact Jake