-

-

ND Softball

Irish go 4-1 at Liberty Classic against Villanova, Liberty

| Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Notre Dame softball team traveled to Lynchburg, Va. this weekend to close out February with the 2021 Liberty Classic. The Irish swept the Villanova Wildcats Friday, Saturday and Sunday, winning two of those games in five innings. The Irish then went 1-1 against the Liberty Eagles.

Notre Dame started the weekend at 9 a.m. Friday against Villanova. Senior captains centerfielder Abby Sweet, infielder Sarah Genz and pitcher Alexis Holloway led the charge during the weekend’s first game. Sweet scored twice from the top of the lineup. Genz had two runs of her own and two runs batted in. Holloway showed up on both sides of the plate, allowing only two earned runs on the mound with a career-high 13 strikeouts while also driving in three runs. Sophomore outfielder Emma Clark and graduate student infielder Katie Marino both scored twice. Marino and sophomore outfielder Leea Hanks each had an RBI. The Irish won 8-2.

This game against the Wildcats was a definitive opening to the weekend. The Irish lost their footing, though, when they fell to the Eagles 3-2 the same morning. While Marino had two RBIs, Liberty’s Autumn Bishop scored, followed by two runs and two RBIs from Amber Bishop.

At noon on Saturday, the Irish came back with renewed energy, defeating the Wildcats 8-0, this time in a clean five-inning sweep. Pitchers junior Payton Tidd and senior Morgan Ryan had four and two strikeouts respectively. Tidd also hit a home run in the game, bringing in two runs. Freshman catcher Carlli Kloss and Hanks both had a run in the game. Clark and Marino each had two RBIs. Junior infielderQuinn Biggio also had an RBI.

At 6:02 that evening, the Irish stepped back out onto the field to face the Eagles for the second time. In this match-up, Holloway was back on the mound and able to hold the Eagles to one earned run from Amber Bishop and two hits. She also had two strikeouts. On the other side of the plate, Holloway hit the third Irish home run on the day. Clark and Sweet rounded the bases for two more runs in a 3-1 win over Liberty.

The Irish then closed out the weekend with another five-inning win over Villanova, 11-3. Sweet had a leadoff home run on top of two more runs and two more RBIs. At the end of the five games this weekend, Sweet had extended her on-base streak to 28 games. Biggio hit her eighth career home run Sunday with runs from Tidd, Clark, Marino, Hanks and Kloss as well. On the mound, Holloway, Tidd and Ryan all had strikeouts.

After this past weekend, the Irish have a weekend off. They are scheduled to have a set of conference games against North Carolina from March 12-14.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

About Mannion McGinley

Contact Mannion