-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

No. 4 Irish fall to No. 2 Orange in pair of games to open ACC play

| Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team fell to Syracuse in two consecutive away games over the weekend. This leaves the No. 2 ranked Orange (5-0, 3-0 ACC) undefeated in their season, while the No. 4 Irish (2-2, 0-2 ACC) gained their first losses.

Thursday’s match saw the Irish behind from the start, with Syracuse leading the score the entire game. The Orange racked up the first four goals of the competition as freshman attacker Emma Ward, junior midfielder Sierra Cockerille and junior attacker Megan Carney scored against Notre Dame senior goaltender Bridget Deehan. They proceeded to gain six more points during the half.

The Irish netted six goals themselves, with sophomore midfielder Kasey Choma getting a hat trick under her belt in the first half. Sophomore attacker Madison Ahern also scored three points within the first 30 minutes of play, while graduate midfielder Savannah Buchanan caused three out of five Syracuse turnovers. However, it was still not enough to take the lead, and Syracuse was up 10-6 after the first half of gameplay.

Observer File Photo
Irish senior midfielder Diana Kelly runs with the ball during a Feb. 24, 2019 game against Kent State that Notre Dame won 27-0.

Syracuse started the second half with the same momentum, scoring five consecutive goals from five different players without the Irish gaining a point, putting the Orange ahead 15-6. Despite the extending lead, the Irish turned it around and answered with a five-goal run of their own; this time, junior midfielder Madison Mote was the one to score a hat trick all unassisted, while Choma and Ahern also gained points for the team. During this streak, the Irish kept Syracuse from scoring for nearly 18 minutes of play.

Both the Irish and the Orange were able to net three more goals before the end of the contest, causing the final score to be 18-14.

Coming into their second matchup Sunday, the Irish started off with a burst of energy. Deehan performed seven saves in the first half, setting herself up for her career-high 14 saves of the day. Ahern and graduate student attack Samantha Lynch each scored two goals, with sophomore attack Jackie Wolak, senior attack Maddie Howe and graduate student midfielder Erin McBride also finding the net. The Irish led 7-4 at the half after a series of turnovers and stops allowed the Irish to keep Syracuse from scoring for 13 minutes of play. This is the first time the Orange have trailed all season.

However, Syracuse responded with full force, scoring the first six goals of the second half to put themselves ahead 10-7. This started a back-and-forth in scoring between the two teams. Putting the Irish back into the game, Howe and freshman midfielder Kelly Denes scored to make it a one-point competition. The Orange then came back with the next four goals, extending their lead to 14-9. Even with scoring three out of the four final goals of the game, the Irish were not able to recapture the lead, allowing Syracuse to take it 15-12.

Coming off of this losing streak, the Irish look ahead to their Friday non-conference game at home against Liberty University, where they will seek to regain their stride. The matchup begins at 5 p.m. and will be on ACC Network Extra.

Tags: , , , , , ,