Saint Mary’s releases statement condemning anti-Asian violence after Georgia shooting

In response to last night’s shooting in Georgia, the College is urging the end of violence against Asian and Asian American individuals, per an email by executive director of equity and inclusion Redgina Hill sent to students Wednesday afternoon.

“Many individuals across the country are heartbroken by the acts of violence that took place last night in Georgia,” Hill said. “Eight people, including six Asian women, lost their lives in what is being deemed a racially charged incident.”

Hill cited increased violence against Asian communities during the pandemic, noting that the shooting in Georgia was not an isolated incident.

“During the COVID-19 pandemic, increased violence against Asian and Asian American communities nationwide has intensified,” she said. “Reports of xenophobic and racist incidents towards Asian communities have nearly risen to 150% according to reports from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism. All acts of racial violence must end!”

According to Hill, a solution to decrease violence is to continue having open dialogues about race.

“We have to do our part by continuing to encourage ongoing discussions around topics of race, and the longstanding history of racism in our country, to break down the barriers that separate us, no matter how uncomfortable these topics may be,” Hill said. “Engaging in dialogue about these topics does not create divisiveness. Divisiveness already exists in our society, but through dialogue, even when uncomfortable, healing and change can begin.”

Hill also encouraged the Saint Mary’s community to support all Asian and Asian American individuals affiliated with the College.

“As a campus community, we remain committed to standing against racism and fighting for justice for all,” she said. “I invite all members of the Saint Mary’s College community to join in opposing these anti-Asian acts of violence and to stand in solidarity with our Asian and Asian-American students, colleagues, family, and friends.”