Saint Mary’s students share mixed feelings about vaccine clinic

Earlier last week, Mona Bowe and Shari Rodriguez, co-directors of the COVID-19 Response Team, sent Saint Mary’s students an email with information regarding a new vaccination clinic that will come to campus April 16. The information came after College President Katie Conboy sent an email earlier in March that said Indiana had “broadened vaccine availability” to younger Hoosiers.

Conboy, Bowe and Rodriguez have displayed an optimistic tone regarding the future of Saint Mary’s students. However, there have been mixed feelings among students regarding the vaccination clinic, due to concerns about the newness of the vaccines and possible side effects.

Sophomore Anna Skiadopoulos said she feels hopeful about the clinic and expressed gratitude for the opportunity to get vaccinated.

“I think it’s very cool that Saint Mary’s is able to do something as huge as getting the vaccine on campus. I didn’t think it was possible, but here we are,” she said. “The convenience is truly a blessing, and I think as a campus we should be very grateful.”

In her email, Conboy noted that the CDC has new recommendations for those who have been vaccinated. However, in the email sent earlier last week, Bowe and Rodriguez reminded students that Saint Mary’s “Check Up, Mask Up, Back Up, Wash Up” safety protocols will still be in effect for the remainder of the spring semester.

In a Tuesday email, students were asked to fill out an attached consent form that includes questions regarding patient history of COVID-19, specific medications and allergic reactions in order to register to receive the vaccine.

Side effects are a concern for some. Sophomore Anna Guerra is hopeful for the clinic but is scared of possible long-term effects of the vaccine.

“I am nervous about the vaccine since there is not a lot of evidence on the long-term effects, and that is quite frightening,” she said.

But despite her concerns about the vaccine, Guerra is still hopeful for the future of the campus.

“I think it’s very beneficial that our campus is administering the vaccines,” she said. “This is allowing students to take the next step in ending the pandemic and protecting the future.”

One sophomore mentioned she will be getting the vaccine because it will “make [her] feel better” about the COVID-19 situation as a whole.

Per the email sent by the COVID-19 response team, the clinic will be administering the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on April 16, followed by a second dose May 7. The deadline to sign up is April 9 and the vaccine is available to all Saint Mary's students.