-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer clinches Senior Day win in sole home game of the season

| Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Notre Dame women’s soccer pocketed their sixth win — and sixth shutout performance — of the season after downing the Missouri Tigers March 20 with a final score of 2-0. This was the team’s only home game on the schedule, and therefore acted as Senior Day for the Irish.

Senior forward Eva Hurm was a standout of the day, scoring her first goal of the season within the beginning 30 minutes of play before performing her third assist. After halftime, sophomore midfielder Maddie Mercado netted the second point for the Irish, clinching the win.

With the exception of the two Irish goals, it was a game of close opportunities and missed chances. Missouri had a shot at scoring early on as a lone forward took on senior goaltender Jaina Eckert, who made a sliding tackle to shut them down. This was quickly followed by an Irish attempt at a goal by senior defender Jenna Winebrenner, whose shot was blocked by a Tigers defender. When junior midfielder Louisa Delgado tried again 20 minutes later, the ball flew just high of the net, ricocheting off of the crossbar.

This trend continued into the second half, when two more attempts by Delgado also proved futile. In response, the Irish defense elevated their game play. Winebrenner’s sliding stop derailed what would have been a goal for the Tigers, keeping them off of the board. Eckert executed a final save after Missouri’s corner kick, solidifying Notre Dame’s win.

The Irish look ahead to their next away game in Lawrence, Kansas as they face the Kansas Jayhawks on March 28.

Tags: , , , , , , ,