-

-

A force for good

| Wednesday, April 14, 2021

When Fr. Sorin survived the winter trek from Vincennes to found our University in the cold and snowy winter of 1842, he expressed his gratitude and his dream that someday “[t]his college will be one of the most powerful means of doing good in this country.” Well, the Notre Dame community is now demonstrating how prescient Fr. Sorin was. We are in the midst of an effort to vaccinate as many members of our community as we can from the COVID-19 virus. Thousands of students, faculty, staff and even staff families have been vaccinated already through the generosity and dedication of many, including the Indiana and St. Joseph County Health Departments and the University of Notre Dame. Hundreds of volunteers have made this possible. 

In my 50-year association with Notre Dame, I have never seen such a broad response from across our Notre Dame family. I had the privilege to work at the vaccination site the last four days and was so grateful that I live and work among such a great family. Volunteers checked in students, assisted the vaccinators, scheduled second appointments and directed everyone through the well-organized faculty. Students may not have noticed, but the volunteers were C.S.C. priests, faculty, department chairs, administrators and staff from every corner of campus. 

We all assisted the many dedicated medical professionals from University Health Services, our local community and even Indiana University medical students who worked during their spring break. None of this would have been possible without the leadership and dedication of Mike Seamon, Brian Fremeau and Carol Mullaney, each of whom were working every day to make sure everything ran smoothly. Special thanks to Adam Hill and Silvio Mendez who took good care of the hundreds of volunteers. I cannot possibly name everyone who planned and coordinated this massive effort because there are so many and most worked “behind the scenes,” but I am grateful for your tireless efforts. The vaccination clinic has truly been a “force for good” for everyone. 

I urge every student who has not yet visited the vaccination center to do so now. It takes less than 30 minutes and, for many, only 20 minutes. Make an appointment and, to save you time, complete all registration information in advance. Do it for you, your family, your Notre Dame family and your community. Most of your classmates, faculty and staff got vaccinated for you. 

Jim Farrington 

class of 1974

Notre Dame Law School, ESTEEM Program

April 12

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]