Honored, humbled and ready to serve

Dear friends, After more than a year in the pandemic, this spring is marked with an air of hope. Alongside the sunny days and vaccine rollout, it seems like we are on the road back to “normal.” As we look ahead to the future, it is certainly important to reflect on the difficult challenges we have faced in the past year. In our nation, we have witnessed strong recent reactions to racial injustice towards the Black and Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and increased tensions alongside a divisive election. Here at Notre Dame, we have lost three beloved members of our community: Olivia, Valeria and Jude. In the midst of this and the pandemic, we have also faced an intense mental health crisis. Yet some of the best leadership is forged in the crucible of difficulty.  We owe a great deal of gratitude to Rachel, Sarah and Aaron for their adaptability and leadership during these uncertain times. In the unique circumstances we faced, they selflessly and wholeheartedly served the student body. Their service over the past year serves as both an inspiration and a motivation for us, and we thank them for everything they have done.Last night, as the 2021-2022 student senate convened for the first time, we took our oath of office and had our executive cabinet confirmed. We are honored that the student body entrusted us with these roles and are eager to be in service. As we assume our new responsibilities, we want to assure you that we are here for you, the students. We invite you to reach out to us should you need anything at all. We are hopeful for the year to come, not only because of all the goals we have laid out, but also because we will emerge stronger than ever from this incredibly difficult year. As Notre Dame continues its mission to fight for the common good, we will continue the mission of student government, which is to serve that good on behalf of the student body.Looking forward, we hope to start working right away to build a better Notre Dame. Our campaign was focused on getting students the support they need and deserve — ensuring holistic health and well-being, standing in solidarity with the marginalized and bridging the gaps in our community. In our term, we aim to fight for an equitable academic environment, mental and sexual health resources, greater accessibility, sensitivity for difficult financial circumstances, transparency from the administration, a greener campus and more.Before this semester ends, we look forward to a possible Student Voice Summit to hear student concerns and recognize student agency in decisions related to campus policy and programs. We also look forward to crafting educational resources for our campus’ sexual health through partnerships with student organizations. In the midst of this, we want to be as transparent as possible, so we look forward to establishing a student government newsletter to keep the campus community up to date on student union affairs. On this Friday of the Octave of Easter, we take inspiration from today’s psalm: “O Lord, grant salvation! O Lord, grant prosperity!” In the year to come, we know that this community will experience both salvation and prosperity, and that you can guide us as we traverse whatever challenges may also arise. There is no way to anticipate what lies ahead, but we will weather it together as the Fighting Irish. The sunshine and flowering trees all over campus remind us of the beauty of Our Lady’s University. We are honored, humbled and ready to serve.  

Love thee, 

Allan Njomo

student body president

Matthew Bisner

student body vice president

Alix Basden 

chief of staff

April 8