-

-

Track and Field

Irish break records at weekend showings

| Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Notre Dame Track squad split groups at the famed Drake Relays and at the Clark Woods Invitational this past weekend. The women got off to a hot start in Des Moines at the Drake Relays, sweeping the 5000m race as graduate student Erin Archibeck, junior Maddy Denner and sophomore Katie Rose Blachowicz stacked the podium in that order. Freshman Erin Strzelecki came in fifth. The group kept it close, though, as less than a ten-second margin separated Archibeck and Strzelecki. That’s how the women’s distance team started the weekend, but they weren’t finished there. 

The Irish came in first and second the next day in the 1500m race as senior Katie Wasserman took the gold with a personal best time of 4:14.43. Freshman Olivia Markezich trailed close behind, posting a 4:15.76. Junior AnnaSophia Keller placed fifth and finished in 4:17.04. 

All three runners recorded times ranking in the top 10 in program history. Wasserman’s time ranks fourth, Markezich sixth and Keller ninth. The Irish also found success in the infield, especially from some younger talents.

As mentioned earlier, the women’s distance team wasn’t finished with their business on the weekend yet. Back at the Drake Relays on Saturday, the women’s distance medley relay team put on a dominating performance, beating the field with a whopping eight-second cushion. The group consisted of Markezich (3:23.7 – 1200m), graduate student Kelly Hart (55.3 – 400m), senior Erin Sullivan (2:09.8 – 800m) and Wasserman as anchor (4:34.5 – 1600m). The group set a new meet record en route to their first place finish at 11:03.25.

Sophomore thrower Michael Shoaf placed second in the shot put on Friday at the Clark Wood Invitational, shattering his own previous PR and setting the new men’s all-time program record with a distance of 18.74m. Freshman Jadin O’Brien also inched closer to cementing herself in the record book as she posted the program’s second-best mark in the long jump with a distance of 6.19m to take fifth. The Irish also managed to sweep the men’s and women’s javelin events. Junior Austin Parsons got the Irish going with a victory on the men’s side with a winning throw of 64.94m. Senior Gabe Diederich followed with a first-place finish for the women with a throw of 45.60m.

Notre Dame is back in action next weekend on Saturday, May 1, as the program hosts the first-ever meet at the Harris Family Track and Field Stadium on campus: the Bob Harris Open.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,