-

-

Men’s Tennis

Men’s tennis looks for road wins against Georgia Tech, Clemson

| Friday, April 9, 2021

After winning two straight home matchups, the Notre Dame men’s tennis team (11-8, 4-4 ACC) returns to the road this weekend for two conference matchups. The 42nd-ranked Irish take on 32nd-ranked Georgia Tech (10-7, 4-5 ACC) at 5 p.m. on Friday, and face Clemson (7-11, 1-8 ACC) Sunday at noon. 

The Irish have been playing some of their best tennis of the season as of late, earning a 4-0 victory over Louisville and a 7-0 triumph over DePaul. However, they have struggled on the road, compiling a 1-5 record. However, much of that can be attributed to the quality of their opponents; four of those five losses came against top-25 opponents. 

Georgia Tech is led by talented players at the top of their singles lineup. Redshirt freshman Marcus McDaniel is ranked 20th, and redshirt freshman Andres Martin is 24th in the nation. They also have an impressive doubles lineup, with four pairs ranked in the latest ITA rankings. Clemson has one ranked singles player, senior Carlos Kelaidis, who slots in at No. 103. The Tigers also have two ranked doubles pairs.

Junior Axel Nefve is the Irish’s lone ranked singles player at No. 69. The doubles pair of Nevfe and senior Richard Ciamarra ranks 40th. Notre Dame currently sits eighth in the ACC standings, one spot behind the Yellow Jackets. Clemson is near the bottom of the conference with just one ACC win. 

The Irish are quickly closing in on the end of their regular season. After these two road contests, Notre Dame has just two home games left on its schedule before the postseason begins. The men’s and women’s tennis ACC Championships will both be held from April 21-25 at the Rome Tennis Center in Rome, Georgia, while the men’s and women’s NCAA Championships will be held May 16-28 in Orlando, Florida.

Friday’s matches from the Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta, Georgia can be watched here, while Sunday’s matches from the Duckworth Family Tennis Facility in Clemson, South Carolina, will be live streamed here

Tags: , , , , , , ,