-

-

ND Softball

Multiple COVID cases cancel Irish games vs. Clemson, upcoming vs. Loyola-Chicago

| Monday, April 12, 2021

Notre Dame softball had to cancel their slate this weekend and their upcoming midweek game. This amounted to five total missed games, all slated to be played at home, due to a series of positive tests within the programs. No names were released, but the press release stated that the decision was made following the positive results, and subsequent quarantining and contact tracing within the team.

Notre Dame was getting ready for a 4-game home series against Clemson to stretch over this weekend, looking to run up their currently undefeated home record (6-0). The Irish have also canceled this week’s midweek non-conference game, against Loyola-Chicago; another lost home opportunity. For the Irish, this represents a lost opportunity to rebound from a tough Easter weekend, as the Irish were swept by a top-10 Florida State team on the road, dropping their ACC record to 9-10. Notre Dame scored just one run during the four-game series, squashing the momentum they had built during a 7-game winning streak prior to the sweep.

The lost Clemson series eliminates Notre Dame’s chance to rebound against some more premier ACC competition, as the Tigers are currently 2nd to Florida State in the ACC, sporting an 18-4 conference record. Notre Dame’s 9-10 mark has them sitting 7th. Although they lose five home games due to this cancellation, Notre Dame will still have an additional five games left of what was originally an 11-game homestand, should there be no further COVID complications. The Irish are scheduled to face Virginia (7-14 in the ACC) in a four-game set at Melissa Cook Stadium, starting a week from today, and DePaul in a non-conference game on April 21.

The press release from Notre Dame softball stated that “Notre Dame will not play games vs. Clemson, Loyola-Chicago.” The non-conference game is a certain cancellation, and whether Notre Dame attempts to make up the lost ACC games likely depends on how long this COVID pause lasts, and how impactful these games may be in the standings by the end of the regular season.

Tags: