-

-

Men’s Golf

ND men’s golf finishes third at Augusta Haskins Award Invitational

| Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Notre Dame men’s golf team finished third in a stacked, 15-team field at the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational this weekend. The event was hosted by Augusta State University at the Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia. The Irish shot an 845 (-19), tied for the fifth-best 54 hole score in program history. Notre Dame bested three top-15 teams, including No. 5 Illinois and No. 6 Arizona State. Third-ranked Oklahoma State finished first, followed by Pepperdine. Notre Dame has improved its overall score in each tournament this spring, beating its previous best, 12-under at the Spartan invitational by seven strokes. 

The Irish got off to a strong start, carding a 285 (-3) in the opening round, thanks in large part to an impressive round from first-year Tucker Clark, who finished three under par. The Irish continued their strong performance in the second round, shooting season-best 275 (-13). With the score, the team tied for the fifth-best single round in program history. Sophomore Palmer Jackson shot a 67 (-5); one stroke off his career-best. The Irish entered the third round in fourth place.

In the final round on Sunday, Notre Dame once again shot a 285 (-3). Both Jackson (-3) and Clark (-2) finished under par in the third round, which was good enough to push the Irish past Illinois by four strokes and make the podium. 

Jackson had an outstanding individual performance throughout the weekend, finishing nine strokes under par; good for fifth place individually. He finished the last round on a high note, notching three birdies in the last four holes. It marks his third career top-five finish, and the second-highest individual score of his Notre Dame career, after his impressive 16 under par that won him the individual title at the 2019 Quail Valley Collegiate.

Clark also continued his impressive season, finishing in 12th place with a career-low -5. Senior Davis Chatfield also finished inside the top 20 with a score of -3, and juniors Taichi Kho and Andrew O’Leary finished 35th and 50th, respectively. Kho notched an impressive eagle in the last round on the par-5 11th hole.

The Irish will be back on the course next weekend. They will travel to Raleigh, North Carolina, for an invitational hosted by North Carolina State.

Tags: , , , , ,