Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024

Notre Dame doctoral student dies

This report was updated April 6 at 1:22 p.m.

Notre Dame graduate student Majd “Jude Ash” al-Shoufi has died, according to an email from University leadership Friday night.

In a separate email to The Observer, the University declined to comment on the cause of al-Shoufi’s death. The body is currently undergoing an autopsy, Ann Kaser, administrative assistant of the St. Joseph County Coroner’s Office, confirmed Tuesday morning. The results of the autopsy could take 6 to 8 weeks.

al-Shoufi was pursuing a doctoral degree in psychology and peace studies through the department of psychology and the Kroc Institute in the Keough School of Global Affairs. Born in Syria, al-Shoufi grew up in the United Arab Emirates.

According to the Kroc Institute website, al-Shoufi was a peace and human rights activist with experience working with trauma-inflicted communities and refugees. His research centered around the study of human emotion and emotion processing. al-Shoufi was also involved with the IDEA Center through BrainDrive, LLC.

Information about a memorial service and more details will be shared when they are known, the email said.

In another email Tuesday afternoon, Campus Ministry invited the Notre Dame community to a Mass of remembrance in honor of al-Shoufi, which will be held on Wednesday, April 7, at 5:15 p.m. in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. The Mass will also be livestreamed on the Campus Ministry website.

The Friday night email encouraged students impacted by al-Shoufi’s death to reach out to resources on campus.

“The University Counseling Center (574-631-7336) and Campus Ministry (574-631-7800) are both available to offer their support to you and other members of our community. Please know that you can contact these offices even if you are away from campus,” the email said.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article included the misspelling of Majd “Jude Ash” al-Shoufi’s name. The Observer deeply regrets this error.