Lakeside Music Festival moves ‘quadside’ for a year

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article misstated the year Lakeside began. The Observer regrets any error.

Carroll’s Lakeside Music Festival, held on the Carroll lawn since 2015, will take place Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the event is set to occur on South Quad, but the change won’t stop Carroll organizers from creating a festival atmosphere.

“Although Lakeside is hosted on South Quad this year due to an apparent lower COVID capacity on [the Carroll lawn], I speak for all the Vermin when I say we’re excited to see a great group of talented performers rock the crowd and support a great charity,” sophomore Carroll Hall president Will Forsen said in an email.

In addition to a music festival, the event also takes the form of a fundraiser — proceeds from T-shirt sales will benefit the Boys and Girls Club of South Bend.

Forsen said that this year’s Lakeside logo is loosely based on the Lollapalooza music festival logo, but the event is not necessarily themed.

1620307309-674dcae1ef8ad0a
The Lakeside festival is the third event this year with a Lollapalooza atmosphere, following the Keenan Revue and Choirpalooza.

“There is no particular theme … but with live performers, food trucks and lawn games, it gives off a Lollapalooza vibe, which can really be felt when you see people spreading out blankets to enjoy the weather and music,” Forsen said.

Sophomore Henry Baer, Carroll Lakeside commissioner, said he is looking forward to the event after a year of somewhat splintered social interactions due to COVID-19 concerns.

“I’m most excited about having a large outdoor event with the rest of my hall because we haven’t had the chance to do anything like that in a long time,” he said in an email.

Baer became commissioner for the event after Carroll upperclassmen who ran the event in the past encouraged him to get involved. He says he will pass on the tradition and help underclassmen with the event next year.

Lakeside performers range from Acousticafé student favorites to a blues band consisting of faculty members with advanced degrees in theology.

The full seven-act lineup includes Michael Hanisch, Joe Andrews, Jack Darnell, Juan Chicoy and the So-and-So’s, Pasketters, Oblates of Blues and Zeus Geus.

The performers said they are excited to play a live event and help students relax and unwind as the semester comes to a close.

One of the musicians, sophomore Joe Andrews, will be playing at Lakeside for the first time, while others, such as Oblates of the Blues are returning to play at the festival for the third year.

Andrews said he plays a mix of covers and original pieces but will focus on the former for the Lakeside festival.

Even though Andrews is disappointed he will not be able to play in the secluded and intentional atmosphere created by the Carroll lawn, he is thankful the festival will still happen despite COVID-19 protocols.

“[Lakeside] is such a great opportunity to showcase the Notre Dame music scene,” he said. “Whatever sacrifices they have to make to put it on I think are well worth it.”

Similarly, Oblates of Blues member Tom Guinan, who works in the Notre Dame Investment Office, said he is excited to share some old-time Chicago Blues songs with students — natural tunes he says most students don’t already know but quickly pick up on and enjoy.

“The event will be different this year, but it will still be a lot of fun and a sign of the school year coming to an end,” he said.

Sophomore Michael Hanisch, said he plans to play some tracks from “radiopassive,” his recent E.P. release.

Both Forsen and Baer encourage students to take and break and enjoy the music festival Friday.

“There’s no better way to chill out before finals than bringing your friends for groovy tunes, free food and a nice Spikeball tournament,” Forsen said in an email.