-

-

Men’s Lacrosse

No. 4 Irish thump No. 9 ’Cuse on senior day

| Wednesday, May 5, 2021

On senior day, it was an underclassman who stole the show. 

Sophomore attack Pat Kavanagh became the first Notre Dame player in program history to record ten points in a single game — five goals and five assists — as the No. 4 Irish (7-3, 3-3 ACC) romped to a 22-8 victory over No. 9 Syracuse (6-5, 2-4 ACC) in their regular-season finale Saturday afternoon at Arlotta Stadium. 

With his five assists Saturday, Kavanagh broke the Irish single-season assist record previously set by his brother Matt, who in 2014 recorded 33 assists in 18 games. Kavanagh has made 36 assists in 10 games so far in 2021. 

Liam Entenmann, fellow sophomore and product of New York’s Chaminade High School, made 11 saves on 17 shots faced before giving way to senior goalie Matt Schmidt.

Other standout performers included junior attack Griffin Westlin and junior midfielder Quinn McCahon, who both scored hat tricks and added a pair of assists. 

Senior midfielder Wheaton Jackoboice was fourth on the team in points on the day, providing two goals and a pair of assists to help pace the Irish. 

Entenmann made several key stops in a tight first quarter that ended tied at 3-3. Notre Dame, however, broke the game open with both a 4-0 and 6-0 run in the second quarter to give the Irish a 13-6 lead at halftime. 

After Syracuse scored with three seconds to go in the first half, the Orange would be held scoreless for over 26 minutes. 

The Irish accounted for all six goals scored in the third quarter, which included an acrobatic effort from Kavanagh. 

With the Irish already up by 10 with just under eight minutes to go, senior midfielder Morrison Mirer dumped the ball off inside to the Rockville Centre, New York native, who jumped with his back to goal and took a huge hit while shooting between his legs to give the Irish a 17-6 lead. 

The 14-goal margin of victory was Notre Dame’s largest in its series history versus Syracuse and in any conference game since the Irish joined the ACC in 2014. 

Saturday was Notre Dame’s third win against a top-10 opponent this year. In early April, the Irish handily defeated the Orange, who were then ranked ninth at the time as well, at the Carrier Dome before beating then-No. 1 Duke at home a week later. 

The Irish now await their seeding in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, which will be announced during the selection show Sunday at 9 p.m. on ESPNU. 

The first round will be played over the following weekend. According to US Lacrosse Magazine, Notre Dame is scheduled to serve as one of four predetermined host sites for the first round. 

Tags: , , , , ,

About Greg McKenna

Contact Greg