-

-

Sports

Irish to kick off season against Hoosiers

| Friday, August 27, 2021

This Friday, Notre Dame men’s soccer will host the Indiana Hoosiers, kicking off the season in Alumni Stadium. This game will mark the 43rd time Notre Dame and Indiana have faced off on the pitch and the first time they have met since their 1-1 draw in 2019. Indiana will be entering Alumni Stadium as the No. 2 ranked team in the country, posing an immediate challenge and an opportunity for the unranked Irish to quickly elevate on the leaderboards.

The Hoosiers will be bringing a talented and experienced roster to South Bend. Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley saw four of his players named to TDS’s Preseason Best XI teams — including two juniors, forward Victor Bezerra and goalkeeper Roman Celentano, who made the first team — and will attempt to start the season strong coming off their second-place finish in last year’s NCAA Tournament.

Indiana has been solid but not overwhelming this preseason, coming to a 0-0 draw with DePaul before defeating Wright State 4-2 and Louisville 5-4.

The Fighting Irish will have to control the game to defeat a dependable Hoosier team. Notre Dame can look towards their captains Mohamed Omar and Philip Quinton to lead the charge in the matchup this Friday and take control of the game on the defensive end.  

On the attacking end of the pitch, senior forward Jack Lynn will try to add on to his 21 goals over the past three seasons and establish himself as the Irish’s leading scorer for the third year in a row. Notre Dame’s attack will have to pressure the Indiana defense and reach the back of the net to combat the Hoosiers’ established goal scoring ability.

As the first regular season game, the Fighting Irish will be starting off an exciting year and introducing their freshman class — ranked No. 5 in the nation by TDS — to real NCAA competition.  

Tune in as the Fighting Irish match up against the Hoosiers Friday at 7:00 PM in Alumni Stadium or on ACCNX.