-

-

Santiago Schnell appointed Dean of College of Science

| Friday, August 27, 2021

Notre Dame appointed Santiago Schnell as the dean of the College of Science, the University announced this summer. Schnell will begin his new position on September 1.

The College of Science encompasses six departments, with over 375 faculty and staff members, 480 graduate students and 2,000 undergraduate students.

Schnell, who was previously the chair of the department of molecular and integrative physiology at the University of Michigan Medical School, will also hold a tenured appointment as a professor in the department of biological sciences. While at Michigan, Schnell led his department in increasing its operating revenue, investments and endowment.

Schnell received a bachelor of science in biology from the Universidad Simón Bolívar in Venezuela as well as a doctorate in mathematical biology from the University of Oxford.

In the press release, Schnell said he felt privileged to serve as dean.

“I look forward to working alongside an impressive group of faculty members and staff as we answer cutting-edge scientific questions, while educating the future scientific leaders who also seek to contribute to human flourishing,” Schnell said.

University President Fr. John Jenkins praised Schnell as an exceptional addition to the Notre Dame community.

“Santiago [Schnell] is an internationally recognized expert in theoretical and mathematical biology, an accomplished academic leader and someone who is attracted by Notre Dame’s distinctive Catholic mission,” Jenkins said.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report