Seidel takes home bronze medal in women’s marathon at Olympics

Notre Dame alumna Molly Seidel won the bronze medal in the women’s marathon Saturday at the Tokyo Olympics. Seidel is only the third American woman to win an Olympic medal in the women’s marathon. The most recent American medal in the event came in 2004 from Deena Kastor, who also took home the bronze medal.

Saturday’s race was only Seidel’s third career marathon. Kenya’s Peres Japchirchir and Brigid Kosgei — the marathon world record holder — took home the gold and silver medals respectively, but Seidel ran with both of them over the first 24 miles of the race.

After the two Kenyan women broke away, Seidel sat in fourth for a brief moment before Israel’s Lonah Chemtai Salpeter dropped out of the race. After that, Seidel sat securely in third for the remaining couple miles and didn’t look back.

The Wisconsin native crossed the line in a time of 2:27:46. While that time was slower than Seidel’s previous two marathons, the weather in Sapporo on Saturday morning was less than ideal for marathon running, with the temperature hovering around 78 degrees Fahrenheit with 82% humidity.

Seidel discussed winning the bronze medal after the race.

“Just getting here was already a dream come true,” Seidel said. “And to be able to come out today against a field like this and be able to come away with a medal, with a bronze for the U.S. — I’m in shock. I’m in disbelief right now.”

Seidel graduated from Notre Dame in 2016 and received a plethora of titles over her cross country and track career, including an NCAA title in both the 3000m and 5000m track events in her final season with the Irish.