-

-

Sports

Belles find success in matches against Anderson, Bluffton

| Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Belles earned their first wins of the season with battles against Anderson University and Bluffton University on Saturday and Monday, respectively. The Belles hosted Anderson at home in Notre Dame, Indiana, and walked away with a shutout victory. Freshman forward Katie Harrington netted one early on in the match to make her first collegiate goal and the only score of the day.

Harrington’s successful shot came after a few attempts from senior forward Rose Stackhouse. Senior midfielder Maya Cole then took a free-kick, the ball eventually finding the feet of Harrington before soaring past the Ravens’ goalie into the upper right of the net.

St. Mary’s defense also provided some offensive pressure, with Cole and defenders senior Lindsey Herdsman and freshman Sydney Skarbek inching up from the backline. Despite this, all other shots on goal proved futile, whether because they missed their target or were saved by the Ravens. Freshman goalkeeper Kara Stacey exhibited the same effort in goal, denying any attempt from their opponent. At the end of the day, the Belles outshot the Ravens 16 to 11 and secured the win.

At their next contest on Monday night, the team demonstrated the same tenacity on the road against Bluffton. There was another early goal that game, as junior forward Jillian Bowen made her first of two goals of the night in the 22nd minute. This followed several shots on goal that were fired in quick succession, all being blocked from the back of the net until the junior’s made good on the attempt. Bowen would score again in the 40th minute, putting the Belles up 2-0 before the end of the half.

Sophomore goalkeeper Brianna Dewey had a strong performance as well, earning her first career goalkeeping win. She would post four saves on the night. She would allow one shot past in the 80th minute but defended the only other attempt to tie by the Beavers in order to maintain the victory for the Belles.

The Belles look ahead to a home match against Manchester University on Wednesday, September 22.