-

-

Sports

Notre Dame men’s soccer fights to 1-1 draw with Boston College

| Monday, September 13, 2021

On Friday night, Notre Dame men’s soccer hit the road for their first conference test of the season and came back to South Bend with a 1-1 draw against Boston College.

It was Stefan Sigurdarson who opened up the scoring, drawing first blood for the Eagles in just the 16th minute. The junior forward out of Iceland did well to initially create the Boston College chance by blocking an attempted Notre Dame clearance, setting up a deft touch by Mike Suski to feed Sigurdarson the ball back. Without hesitation, the Eagles’ leading scorer then made the most of the space he had, blasting the ball into the far bottom corner with a precise and well-driven strike and sending a raucous partisan crowd of nearly 1,000 attendees into raptures.

Things went from bad to worse in the 35th minute for the Fighting Irish. Senior forward Tyler Shea was shown a red card for a bad challenge on defender Victor Souza. With Notre Dame reduced to ten men, on the road, already down a goal, the match looked to surely be all but wrapped up for Boston College.

But the Irish didn’t back down. Just before halftime a pair of freshmen in defender Josh Ramsey and forward Matthew Roou linked up to draw Notre Dame level. Ramsey received a routine back pass in the center of the defense, and with acres of space to work with, sprayed a great ball forward to the feet of Roou. Roou collected the ball, opted to cut in to create a better angle, and curled a shot of his own into the far bottom corner, before heading to the corner flag to celebrate with the Irish bench.

The rest of the game was not without nerves for any Notre Dame fans in attendance or watching on the ACC Network. With the Eagles controlling the lion’s share of the match’s possession, chances for them to put away the goal to put the home side ahead for good were aplenty in the second half. With ten minutes to go before the end of regular time, Amos Shapiro-Thompson rocketed a shot off the crossbar, and at the buzzer would again test the Notre Dame net, but each time the Irish and sophomore goalkeeper Brian Dowd fended off a winner.

In overtime the chances continued to fall Boston College’s way — Suski got off a shot from outside the box that sailed just over the bar, and Kristofer Konradsson had a free kick in a prime location, but the Notre Dame wall held firm and blocked the chance. The final whistle blew with Boston College holding a significant advantage in shots, corner kicks and possession, but the score still equal. 

A strong away result sets the Irish up nicely for an upcoming homestand in which Notre Dame will play one final out of conference match against Michigan State and then bring another ACC opponent to town in North Carolina State. And with a positive result notched in Newton, the Irish maintain their record of having their only two losses against a pair of ranked sides in Indiana and Kentucky.

Notre Dame men’s soccer will return to action on Tuesday when Michigan State make the trip down to South Bend for a B1G/ACC showdown. The game can be watched live at Alumni Stadium or on the ACC Network at 7 p.m. ET.

About J.J. Post

Contact J.J.