-

-

Sports

Irish prep for non-conference battle after 1-1 draw against BC

| Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Notre Dame men’s soccer team will lace up at Alumni Stadium for an out-of-conference match this Tuesday against the Michigan State Spartans.

The Fighting Irish are coming off of their 1-1 draw in a contentious first ACC game against Boston College this past weekend. The game went into double overtime despite Notre Dame being reduced to 10 men after a red card call against senior forward Tyler Shea. The 10-man team was able to persevere and hold off the Eagles to keep them from claiming the victory. In previous weeks, Notre Dame has fallen victim to two nationally-ranked opponents in No. 9 Indiana and No. 17 Kentucky but secured the victory against Northern Illinois. 

Freshman forward Matthew Roou and fellow freshman defender Josh Ramsey are potential players to watch this upcoming game. Their performance against BC led to the only successful Irish shot of the match. This goal, scored quickly after going a man down, was Roou’s second of the season and allowed Ramsey to pick up the first assist of his collegiate career. 

Down south in Oklahoma this weekend, Michigan State lost 5-1 to No. 24 Tulsa. The Spartans gave up two quick goals by the 10th minute, and even the goal by senior midfielder Luke Morrell was not enough to save the match. In addition to Tulsa, the Spartans have previously faced off with Cleveland State, Akron, Oakland and Bowling Green. They are currently 2-3 for the season and play their first Big Ten conference game against Wisconsin this Friday. 

The Irish and the Spartans make a quick turnaround for Tuesday’s game following their matchups this past weekend. The last time Notre Dame and Michigan State faced one another was in September 2019 with Notre Dame claiming the victory in East Lansing, winning 1-0. The home-field advantage could prove crucial for the Fighting Irish as Michigan State continues to travel on the road for its third game in a row, but there is no doubt both teams are hungry for a win.

Notre Dame will return home to face off with Michigan State Tuesday night, at 7 p.m. ET at Alumni Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra.