-

-

ND Men’s Soccer

Irish prepare to take on Eagles on the road

| Friday, September 10, 2021

This Friday Notre Dame men’s soccer will kick off their conference schedule when they travel to Chestnut Hill, MA to take on the Boston College Eagles. 

Notre Dame will enter on the back of an up and down out of conference schedule that saw the Irish fall to two nationally ranked opponents in Indiana and Kentucky but also beat in-state rival Butler. The team’s two losses are a far cry from the mark of a poor team, however, as the Indiana loss only came after a late penalty sent the match to extra time and a stone cold winner shocked the Irish on home turf. The Kentucky match was equally hard-fought, with Notre Dame only conceding the winner on a long throw in late in a rowdy away environment. 

Jack Lynn has led the way so far for the Irish, as the senior forward has contributed both a goal and assist to the scoresheet — the only player on the roster to have a mark in both statistical categories thus far on the year. A pair of freshman in Matthew Roou and Eno Nto have also wasted no time opening their Notre Dame accounts in their first three games, with graduate student Dawson McCartney the other Irishman to find the back of the net so far this season.

Stefan Sigurdarson and Michael Suski will highlight the Eagle (2-1) attack, with each of the two having scored twice in three games. And while Boston College’s record currently stands more impressive than the Irish’s, the clash in Chestnut Hill should be their first real test of the season. The Eagles have matched up with Quinnipiac, Boston University, and Hartford respectively, a far cry from national top twenty five perennials such as Indiana and Kentucky. BC rides a two game win streak into the match, but a season opening loss to MAAC side Quinnipiac is still likely fresh in the minds of both the Eagles and the Fighting Irish.

As each team’s first ACC match of the season, the contest should prove an interesting bar for both sides. The ACC is generally regarded as one of if not the nation’s hardest soccer conference, and both teams will be eager to register whatever conference victories they can early on. It’s never too early to start thinking about tournament seeding, and home field advantage could prove crucial for either the Eagles or the Irish should they find themselves jockeying for the national tournament in November. 

Notre Dame will square off with Boston College to tomorrow night at 7pm at the Newton Soccer Complex. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra.