-

-

Sports

Irish split weekend 1-1 against Purdue, Mizzou

| Monday, September 6, 2021

On Thursday night Notre Dame’s women soccer continued their unbeaten start to the season, dispatching the Purdue Boilermakers 1-0 at home to move to 4-0-1.

Olivia Wingate was the difference-maker for the Irish, as she rose above the Boilermaker defense to head home a cleverly designed corner kick for the winner. The assists to set up the goal were plenty deserving of credit as well — Sammi Fisher delivered a strong cross to the far post to find Eva Wirtz and Wirtz’s header was perfectly weighted into the center for Wingate to finish off. 

The game wasn’t without a few late scares for Notre Dame’s as Purdue and their star forward Sarah Griffith threatened the net with near misses on more than one occasion late on, but in the end, a stout Notre Dame defense and goalkeeper Kaylin Slattery, making her first career start for the Irish, held strong.

However, on Sunday night, the unbeaten start to the season came to an end. Heading on the road to face the Missouri Tigers, the Irish were tested early — Milena Fischer opened the scoring for the Tigers just minutes into the match, and a little over ten minutes later Cassidy Nurnberger doubled the Mizzou lead.

But in the second half, the Irish fought back — Sammi Fisher slotted home a penalty in the 75th minute before Korbin Albert equalized in the dying moments to send the match extra time.

But it wasn’t to be for the Irish in extra time. Fischer struck again with an impressive blast from long range, walking the Tigers off in front of their home crowd.

The loss drops the Irish to 4-1-1, and they’ll return home this week to face off with University of Detroit Mercy at 7 pm Wednesday at Alumni Stadium.