-

-

Sports

The Observer’s Fantasy Corner Week 5

| Tuesday, September 28, 2021

If this were last year, we would already have been a quarter of the way done with the NFL season. However, now with the extra game, that is obviously not the case. After another action-packed week of the NFL, it is time to set your lineups and win big!

Sam Ouhaj-

Must Start: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

During the offseason, all anyone talked about was how much of a bust Ja’Marr Chase was going to be. While I was never one of the people, it makes my day to see the young rookie have a great start to his career. Through his first three games, he is averaging 18.9 points in PPR leagues and looks phenomenal. The Bengals will be facing the Jacksonville Jaguars who just traded their best cornerback, so Chase’s potential is through the roof for a big game. 

Must Sit: David Montgomery, RB, Chicago Bears

If Matt Nagy is not fired before the season ends, I would be surprised. The Chicago Bears look terrible and with the confusing play calling, the entire offense is suffering. David Montgomery has always been more of a flex player, this year was supposed to be the season where he could be a top running back. While he had 18.8 points during the first week, since then he is averaging 9.2 points per game. While this is a small sample size, Montgomery going up against the Lions this week feels too good to be true. The Bears’ offense has looked lost these last two weeks and they are failing to move the ball. I do not trust it so stay away. 

Who To Pick Up: Tim Patrick, WR, Denver Broncos (Owned in 14% of leagues)

John Kalemkerian- 

Must Start: Brandin Cooks, WR, Houston Texans

Despite having one of the worst quarterback situations in the NFL, Cooks has managed to thrive over the first three weeks of the season, averaging double-digit targets and surpassing 100 receiving yards in two of three games. Although he faces a tough secondary matchup at Buffalo this week, Cooks should continue to dominate Houston’s target share (no other Texans WR had more than one catch in last week’s loss to the Panthers) in a game where the Texans will likely be playing from behind. 

Must Sit: Robert Woods, WR, Los Angeles Rams

Early-MVP candidate Matt Stafford has added new life to this Rams team, and after a convincing win over the reigning Super Bowl champs, the Rams have cemented themselves as legitimate contenders in the NFC. Despite all their early season success, Woods hasn’t shown the same chemistry with Stafford that fellow pass-catchers Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee and DeSean Jackson have. Woods has always been reliant on a heavy target share to sustain fantasy value and with just 11 catches through three weeks, it’s clear that he’s become just another secondary option in LA behind Kupp. Leave him on your bench this week.

Who To Pick Up: Cordarrelle Patterson, RB, Atlanta Falcons (owned in 58% of leagues)

Gehrig Smalstig- 

Must Start: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, Cleveland Browns

Odell is still one of the most talented wide receivers in the league, and he’s on one of the best offenses in the league, so he’s in a great position to officially break back on to the scene after a solid performance this past week. Additionally, the Vikings secondary has been torched through the air this year while their offense is averaging nearly 30 points per game. That should present an outstanding game script for any wide receiver in this matchup, including OBJ.

Must Sit: Allen Robinson II, WR, Chicago Bears

It pains me to say this, but Robinson seems to be unplayable with Justin Fields at QB and Matt Nagy calling plays. I do believe that Andy Dalton should be able to supply him with sufficient targets to allow him to return to form, but it doesn’t seem that he will be back by next week. With that in mind, I think that Robinson will have to sit on the shelf for a while until the Bears’ offense shows some sort of life. 

Who to Pick Up: Bryan Edwards, WR, Las Vegas Raiders

J.J Post- 

Must Start: Mike Williams, WR, Los Angeles Chargers

Williams has been off to an absolutely torrid start to the season. Through his previous four years in the league, Williams has never caught more than 50 passes in a season. Through just three games this year, he has 22. Last season he had five touchdowns. This year he already has four. Trying to extrapolate from one or two weeks of production is usually a crapshoot- once it’s been three weeks, it feels fair to start wondering if it’s a trend.

Must Sit: Robby Anderson, WR, Carolina Panthers

Anderson is the opposite of Williams, and his fantasy prognosis is inverse as well. Through three games. Anderson has just five catches on a mere 11 targets. Of course, one of those catches was a touchdown, but one third of his receptions being touchdowns simply isn’t sustainable. Anderson isn’t a player you shouldn’t have on your roster, and he’s instead looking more and more like a lottery ticket guy you plug in if one of your starting WRs or FLEX has a bye week.

Who To Pick Up: Chuba Hubbard, RB, Carolina Panthers (owned in 11% of leagues)

Jamison Cook- 

Must Start: DK Metcalf, WR, Seattle Seahawks

Davante Adams torched the 49ers secondary with 12 catches for 132 yards and a touchdown on Sunday Night Football, setting Metcalf up for a monster day this coming week. This past week DK also had more receiving yards and fantasy points than his teammate Tyler Lockett for the first time this season, an encouraging sign for Metcalf owners. After a shaky start this was his first 100-yard game of the 2021 season, so Metcalf is on the upward trend. He should continue this trend this week, so make sure the third-year wideout is in your starting lineup.

Must Sit: Leonard Fournette, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After an encouraging first two weeks of the season, Fournette took a step back in Week 3 with only four carries for eight yards and three catches for 26 yards. With Tom Brady set to make his return to New England this week only 68 yards away from the NFL passing yards record, the Bucs are sure to be throwing the ball early and often. I don’t anticipate a big day for any of the Bucs running backs, so keep Lenny and any other Tampa Bay RBs on your bench this week. 

Who to Pick Up: Hunter Renfrow, WR, Las Vegas Raiders (owned in 11% of leagues)

Justice Mory-

Must Start: Kareem Hunt, RB, Cleveland Browns

Kareem Hunt has become a steady and reliable part of the Browns’ offense, even as the team’s second running back. Through three games he has confirmed that he is a solid weekly flex play and his double-digit carries in back-to-back weeks add a level of comfort as to his role and volume in this offense. 

Must Sit: Myles Gaskin, RB, Miami Dolphins

Gaskin was a popular sleeper heading into the season but has probably disappointed many so far this year. He is still worth a roster spot, averaging consistently above five yards per carry in each of the first three games, but he is not currently seeing enough volume to trust in your lineups, especially against the Indianapolis Colts.

Who To Pick Up: Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Buffalo Bills (Owned in 23.3% of leagues)

About Sam Ouhaj

Contact Sam