-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer walks away 2-0 from first road swing

| Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Notre Dame soccer enjoyed a successful first road swing of the season last week, downing Wisconsin 2-1 and Marquette 1-0 in a pair of matches in the Badger state.

The first of the two matches, a trip to McClimon Field in Madison to face the Big Ten’s Wisconsin Badgers, was a thriller of a match, with the Fighting Irish opening the scoring with a goal from freshman midfielder Korbin Albert. Wisconsin would go on to equalize with a penalty kick in the 60th minute. The game would head to extra time, where graduate student midfielder Sammi Fisher converted a golden goal penalty kick to send Notre Dame home victorious.

Head Coach Nate Norman praised his team after the win, remarking on the squad’s mentality in getting back on the front foot after conceding an equalizer in front of a noisy road environment.

“Obviously we gave up the goal in the second half, but just to kind of roll back our sleeves and get that attacking mentality back and win it — that showed a lot of character, resilience and a lot of competitiveness,” Norman said.

The second leg of the trip saw the Fighting Irish head to Milwaukee to face Marquette, where Norman’s squad would dispatch the Golden Eagles 1-0 behind a 27th minute goal from freshman midfielder Sophia Fisher. The goal was Fisher’s first for Notre Dame, marking the third time in four games that a freshman has registered their first career goal for the Irish. Norman commented on the contributions of the freshman class so early on in the season.

“It’s a very talented group,” Norman said. “They just come in with a lot of confidence. They add a lot to our team, whether they’re starting or they’re on the bench. I think like today’s game you see we just have a tremendous amount of substitutes.”

Notre Dame has two more weeks and four more games of non-conference play to complete before they begin their ACC regular season schedule. A visit from in-state rivals Purdue on Thursday at Alumni Stadium is next on the docket for the Fighting Irish.