-

-

Football

Observer Staff Predictions: Notre Dame vs. Virginia Tech

, , , , and | Friday, October 8, 2021

Notre Dame travels to Blacksburg, Virginia to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies in a night game at the always raucous Lane Stadium. The Irish are looking to avoid losing two straight games in the regular season for the first time in five years. The Observer staff – after watching Notre Dame lose at home for the first time as students – pick whether the Irish can rebound.

Aidan Thomas – Associate Sports Editor

Well, the streak is over. Playoff hopes are done, and now it’s about refocusing and resetting the season goals for the Irish. The rest of the schedule is full of tricky games, but it’s very winnable. Winning out puts Notre Dame — almost certainly — in a New Year’s Six Bowl with a chance for a long-awaited major bowl win. However, winning out starts with a game I’ve been worried about for a long time in the Virginia Tech Hokies. The Hokies, like Notre Dame’s past two opponents, are coming off a bye. They were able to watch a blueprint of how to topple the Irish on Saturday. However, I don’t think the Hokies have the offense for this battle. Notre Dame gave Cincinnati ten points through turnovers, as the Bearcats started inside the Irish red zone on consecutive possessions. Throughout the rest of the game, the Irish surrendered just 10 points. Virginia Tech has been held to 21 or fewer points in three of their four games, so the defense has been the strength of this team. At home, they’re giving up 11.3 points per game. Notre Dame is good enough to hold Virginia Tech to less than 20 points — but the offense is full of question marks. If Drew Pyne starts, the Irish win this game. If it’s Coan under center – inexplicably – then I have far greater concerns.

Notre Dame 27, Virginia Tech 17

Mannion McGinley – Sports Editor

The Irish tried the rotation at quarterback, trying to play to their strengths of Jack Coan, Tyler Buchner and Drew Pyne. It didn’t pan out, much to everyone’s heartbreak (don’t ask, that’s as much as I want to talk about it, we’re moving on). The Irish have to move forward. With three quarterbacks, none of whom really outshine the others, the offense just has to shoot for cohesion. This will allow the offensive line—which is truly struggling—to protect one guy and get used to having him in the backfield. There’s not a better location to do this than Virginia Tech. While the Hokies keep a loud stadium and have only allowed an average of about 11 points at home this season, that doesn’t mean the offense won’t be able to get their feet under them. On that note though, this will be a defense-heavy game, and I don’t expect to see much production on either side. Especially with a Tech offense almost as weak if not weaker than the Irish. Ultimately though, in trying to right the ship, the Irish may come up short. And in the spirit of how wrong I was last week, I’d like to be wrong again but it will depend on a lot of factors (which quarterback plays, health of the O-line, defensive gaps or the Wisco-level defense on the field). So Irish fans will have to wait and see.

Notre Dame 14, Virginia Tech 16

Nate Moller – Sports Writer

Last week’s heartbreaking loss to Cincinnati was largely due to Notre Dame being out-coached by the Bearcats and some inexcusable Irish turnovers. Using three quarterbacks in a game is not usually advised, and it did not work out well for the Irish. I imagine Drew Pyne will be the starter for the Irish this week, and he will be up for a challenge against a tough Virginia Tech defense in one of the greatest atmospheres in college football. The key for the Irish will be to take care of the football and not make any mistakes that set up the Hokies’ offense with good field position. Unfortunately for the Irish, there are just too many question marks on the offense at this point, and I anticipate a couple of turnovers and miscues. These miscues will be the difference in the game, and I expect the Hokies to hand the Irish their second straight loss in this one. There is also rain in the forecast for the entirety of Saturday, which will hurt the Irish because of their inability to run the football with any consistency at all.

Notre Dame 13, Virginia Tech 24

Emily DeFazio – Associate Sports Editor

Cincinnati hurt. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the campus that dead, that quiet, with that many people not knowing what to do with themselves. It was just plain eerie. No one in the student body had ever suffered a loss at home before, and it was as if everyone was stunned into confusion, myself included.

I think it’s clear that it is decision time for Brian Kelly. Who is the starting quarterback? A definitive answer must be given if the Irish are going to have a shot at all on offense. With the line as weak as it is, they need routine in who they are protecting. Are they blocking for a guy who will do anything to stay in the pocket or one who bolts immediately at any sign of a breach? That needs to be figured out, immediately. Despite last week’s showing, I still have some faith in the Irish. Virginia Tech will be a tough atmosphere to play in, and if there are any major slip-ups on offense, the Hokies can run away with the game. However, I think Notre Dame will rebound and grab the win in this one. They are the stronger team. But that depends on if they go in there with a solid plan. Let’s hope that’s the case.

Notre Dame 21, Virginia Tech 17

Colin Capece – Assistant Managing Editor

Losing to Cincinnati at home last week was a crusher for Notre Dame’s playoff hopes, but the Irish can still put themselves firmly in the conversation for a New Year’s Six bowl if they win out. The schedule doesn’t get much easier, however, especially against a quality opponent in Virginia Tech coming off a bye in Blacksburg, one of the most raucous environments in all of college football. The Hokies have been mediocre on offense this year, averaging 23 points a game with just 3.6 yards-per-carry, and the Irish shouldn’t have a problem putting Virginia Tech behind the chains. Notre Dame did play uncharacteristically bad in pass coverage against Cincinnati. The Irish linebackers were torched all afternoon by tight end Leonard Taylor, and Kyle Hamilton made the first mistake of his season when he turned the wrong way on an underthrown ball that led to the Bearcat’s second touchdown.

The Hokies don’t have the same kind of weapons in the passing game, and I expect Marcus Freeman to make the necessary adjustments on seam and underneath routes to get a much stronger performance out of the Notre Dame secondary on Saturday. The Irish offense is of course the question mark on everyone’s mind after an abysmal showing in the first half against the Bearcats. If Jack Coan is head-scratchingly named the starter, it will be more of the same for the Irish. A guy that lacks mobility with dwindling confidence just isn’t the same fit for the Irish offense like he was earlier in the year. Drew Pyne should be the quarterback of this team, and he’s shown he has the poise and the swagger to go into Hokie house and lead the Irish to a big-time road win.

This may seem irrational, but for some reason, I’m going to trust that Brian Kelly makes the right call and puts his best quarterback under center. This game’s going to be lower scoring, but Pyne gives a gritty performance with the help of a few Virginia Tech turnovers to show why he’s the signal-caller of the future.

Notre Dame 23 – Virginia Tech 17  

Jimmy Ward – Associate Sports Editor

To quote our fearless leader Mannion McGinley, “This weekend sucked.” It wasn’t fun to watch from the stands and I’m sure it wasn’t an enjoyable experience for anyone wearing a gold helmet. And I’m sure the practices the Irish held this week weren’t much fun either.

If you look back on the history of this matchup between Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, although there isn’t a large sample size to pull from, the three times they have met have definitely not been anything short of entertaining. I think this matchup will not be much different. The Hokies will give the Irish a run for their money, but I think Notre Dame sneaks away with a win in Blacksburg. But maybe not after a little October spooky scare.

Notre Dame 24, Virginia Tech 21

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Aidan Thomas

A junior marketing and ACMS major at Notre Dame, I've countered the success I've enjoyed as a New England sports fan with the painful existence of a Notre Dame football fan.

Contact Aidan

About Jimmy Ward

Jimmy is a senior at Holy Cross College, where he studies English and sports management. He is originally from Westfield, Indiana. Currently, Jimmy serves as an associate sports editor at The Observer. You can find him at @jimmyyward on Twitter.

Contact Jimmy

About Colin Capece

Colin is a senior at Notre Dame, majoring in political science and minoring in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. He hails from the great state of New York and currently serves as an Assistant Managing Editor at The Observer for the 2021-2022 academic year. You can sometimes find him on Twitter at @ColinCapeceND

Contact Colin

About Emily DeFazio

Contact Emily

About Nate Moller

Nate is a junior majoring in chemical engineering. He is originally from a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota and is currently living in Siegfried Hall. Some of his passions include running, cross country skiing, and getting too worked up about Notre Dame and Minnesota sports teams.

Contact Nate

About Mannion McGinley

Contact Mannion