-

-

Sports

The Observer’s Fantasy Corner Week 6

, , , and | Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Week 4 of the NFL was electric and now we are starting to see who is a contender and who is a pretender. While we at The Observer hope you are winning your fantasy matchups, we are still here to offer advice just in case. Let’s get into it! 

Sam Ouhaj

Must Start: Dalton Schultz, TE, Dallas Cowboys 

Dalton Schultz has established himself as the number one tight end in Dallas. He is currently averaging 14.5 points and is TE5 so far this season. Schlutz has a favorable matchup against the New York Giants this weekend and I fully expect to have his number called a few times Sunday afternoon. The best part about Schultz is that he is only owned in 20.8% of leagues which means you can get a top-five tight end in fantasy for almost nothing. Going forward, I would have Schultz in your starting lineup for the rest of the season despite Blake Jarwin being on the team as the chemistry between Prescott and Schultz is noteworthy and hard to deny. 

Must Sit: Tyler Lockett, WR, Seattle Seahawks

Tyler Lockett started off hot this season but these last two games have seen the veteran only post an average of 7 points. While Lockett is normally a solid play at WR2 or flex, his matchup against the Rams this Thursday is something I would stray away from. While Lockett will probably match up against Darius Williams this weekend, Los Angeles has done a fantastic job in shutting down the pass. I would highly recommend motoring Lockett over the next few weeks as he could become valuable trade bait and/or return to his role of being Wilson’s most reliable receiver. 

Who To Pick Up: Jamison Crowder, WR, New York Jets (Owned in 14.6% of leagues) 

John Kalemkerian 

Must Start: Jakobi Meyers, WR, New England Patriots

Meyers burst onto the scene out of nowhere in the middle of last season and while it seemed he might be a one-hit wonder, the NC State product has continued to shine at the Pats top receiving option early this season. With double-digit targets in each of the past two weeks, Meyers stands to see continued success with a very soft matchup at Houston, who have let up consecutive 100-yard receiving games to DJ Moore and Stefon Diggs. As an added bonus, the Pats have used Meyers as passer on trick plays to the tune of 45 passing yards this season. Start Meyers with confidence this week.

Must Sit: Chris Carson, RB, Seattle Seahawks

With where Carson was drafted I understand that this will be a tough sit, but hear me out. The Seahawks have been limiting Carson’s workload for unknown reasons, resulting in 13 carries or less in each of the past 3 weeks. His backfield-mate, Alex Collins, has been quite a bit more productive and had 10 carries and a touchdown against the Niners. An upcoming matchup against an Aaron Donald-anchored Rams front spells disaster for Carson and the Seahawks, who will likely need to stray from their run-heavy scheme to stay in the game. Look in a different direction for running back production this week.

Who To Pick Up: Dalton Schultz, TE, Dallas Cowboys (Owned in 21.6% of leagues)

Gehrig Smalstig

Must Start: Damien Harris, RB, New England Patriots

Many will be quick to sour on Harris after a tough matchup against the Buccaneers in which he saw a total of 4 attempts for -4 rushing yards, but this should be unsurprising considering the Bucs’ historically prolific front 7. The Patriots game planned as we all knew they would and used the short passing game as an extension of the rushing attack, which left Harris off the field for most of the game. In this upcoming matchup against the Raiders, who have a below average rush defense, Harris should see volume more like his Week 1 and 2 outings, in which he averaged nearly 20 carries per game. Belichick will want to establish the run game and keep the ball out of Derek Carr’s hands, which should make Harris an attractive RB2 or Flex option.

Must Sit: Noah Fant, TE, Denver Broncos

Fant is trying to emerge as a top 10 TE this season and has done a pretty solid job of it, but he will likely struggle against a good Steelers’ defense this week. Fant’s best weeks have been supplemented by a touchdown, and while I’m not one to take away the best parts of someone’s game, I just don’t see the Broncos touching the endzone very often in Pittsburgh. Additionally, Drew Lock will have to get reacclimated to the starting role against some of the league’s best defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick, which just sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

Who to Pick Up: Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Philadelphia Eagles

J.J. Post

Must Start: Cordarrelle Patterson, RB, Atlanta Falcons

I’ll admit to being a tad leery about this pick, as four weeks is still a little early for me to lock a previously unheralded player in as a starter, but through four weeks Patterson is incredibly RB2 in total points for PPR leagues. Now is Patterson’s touchdown rate of 38% completely unsustainable? Yes. But he still holds great value outside of that wild statistic. For one, Patterson only truly broke out for the Falcons this season, so his role in the offense and volume of snaps is only set to grow. But more importantly, Patterson is the perfect PPR back. His versatility — the Falcons use him as a wideout almost as much as they use him as a pure running back — meaning he’s assured points every game through catches like a standard receiver would be. You can’t say the same for just about any other running back in the league. What’s more, his status as a speedy deep threat means the potential for touchdowns and the huge fantasy week that would come with them, exists every week. 

Must Sit: Robert Tonyan, TE, Green Bay Packers

Tonyan was supposed to be a member of an exclusive group: tight ends safe to use on a week in and week out basis. Thus far, he simply hasn’t shown the consistent usage in the Packers offense that earned him classification in that group last year. Tonyan’s calling card in 2020 was his ability to put up about 5-12 points for you no matter what. That made him a valuable player to have at tight end, a position that rarely provides owners with more than three real top fantasy players a year. But that high floor has been lowered in 2021. Aside from a strong week two where he put up 52 yards and a touchdown, Tonyan hasn’t put up more than two catches or ten yards in a game this season. And even in week two, his three catches were the only three targets he received all game. His targets went up this week to seven, but he only produced two catches for eight yards. Tonyan isn’t a bad player by any means, and could still be a weekly stream depending on the matchup, but as of right now he isn’t someone who can be relied on every week for fantasy.

Who To Pick Up: Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants (Owned in 32.5% of leagues)

Jamison Cook

Must Start: Tyler Boyd, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

While Boyd didn’t find the end zone in Week 4, he did have highs in targets (11), receptions (9) and receiving yards (118) in the Bengals’ Thursday night win over the Jaguars. Boyd has excelled in the absence of Tee Higgins, and if Higgins can’t go again in Week 5, Boyd should see a high volume of targets once again. The Pitt product should be fine even if Higgins does play, as the matchup with Green Bay provides shootout potential. Cincy QB Joe Burrow seems to trust Boyd this season, and while he may not provide the big-play potential that teammate Ja’Marr Chase does, he is a reliable weekly fantasy option at this point. 

Must Sit: Courtland Sutton, WR, Denver Broncos

Sutton’s production has decreased in the last two weeks, and the loss of starting QB Teddy Bridgewater won’t help. The Steelers’ secondary is decent, and I expect a Broncos team with backup QB Drew Lock at the helm to struggle offensively on the road in Pittsburgh. Additionally, Sutton does not have a receiving touchdown yet this season, while other Broncos receiving options such as Noah Fant and Tim Patrick have multiple. Keep Sutton on your bench this week.

Who To Pick Up: Sam Darnold, QB, Carolina Panthers (owned in 18.3% of leagues)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Sam Ouhaj

Contact Sam

About John Kalemkerian

Contact John

About Gehrig Smalstig

Contact Gehrig

About J.J. Post

Contact J.J.

About Jamison Cook

Contact Jamison