-

-

Sports

The Observer’s Fantasy Corner Week 7

, , , and | Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Week 5 is in the books and Week 6 is here. After some heroic performances from Justin Herbert and Josh Allen, and serious injuries that occurred to players such as Russell Wilson and JuJu Smith-Schuster, there is plenty of discussion surrounding who should start and who should sit this week.

Sam Ouhaj-

Who To Start: Dawson Knox, TE, Buffalo Bills

Dawson Knox has come to life over the last three weeks, and I am all for it. Knox has found the end zone four times in the three weeks, and against the Chiefs, he recorded three receptions for 117 yards and a touchdown. As the weeks continue, I am confident that Knox will improve his connection with Josh Allen, who is playing like an MVP candidate. Dawson is currently owned in 70.3% of leagues, and if you’re looking for a top 10 tight end and someone you can rely on in fantasy right now, Knox is your guy. 

Who To Sit: Tyler Lockett, WR, Seattle Seahawks

What a brutal blow that occurred to the Seattle Seahawks last Thursday. Russell Wilson is set to miss at least a month with a ruptured middle finger leaving Geno Smith as the QB1 in Seattle. Smith is not necessarily a bad quarterback, but he is not Wilson and this entire team will suffer, especially Lockett and D.K. Metcalf. I would advise sitting Lockett for the next month or playing him at the flex if he has a favorable matchup; otherwise, it will be tough to watch Geno Smith and this Seattle offense. 

Who To Pick Up: Kadarius Toney, WR, New York Giants (Owned in 12.2% of leagues)

John Kalemkerian –

Who To Start: Hunter Henry, TE, New England Patriots

A notoriously shallow position that seems to be getting shallower by the year, quality tight ends are difficult to come by. In addition to Dawson Knox, who Sam highlighted, Henry deserves a long look from fantasy managers looking to switch it up or fill in for players on bye. The former Charger has a touchdown in each of the past two games, and his targets have steadily been increasing as rookie Mac Jones has gotten more comfortable running the Patriots’ offense. Dallas’ secondary has been solid through five weeks, leaving Henry the opportunity to rack up yards against their suspect linebacker corps. 

Who To Bench: Allen Robinson II, WR, Chicago Bears

Robinson has flown under the radar as one of the biggest disappointments of the season relative to his draft position. Failing to score double-digit PPR points in all but one game so far, Robinson has continued to suffer from the poor quarterback play that has plagued him for his entire tenure in Chicago. Robinson facing the Packers without Jaire Alexander should be a good matchup on paper, but it’s difficult to trust him, especially with so many better options that are emerging to start at receiver. Leave Robinson on the bench this week. 

J.J Post-

Who To Start: Kadarius Toney, WR, New York Giants

Sam and John said to pick up Toney, I’ll take it a step further: start him. I picked him up last week, and he repaid me in spades this week. Toney will likely go back to being a bench player as the season rolls on and the Giants completely depleted receiver core slowly returns to health. Right now though, the rookie is seeing all sorts of volume with Kenny Golladay, Sterling Shepard, and Darius Slayton all injured. It helps that Toney himself has talent in spades. His shiftiness and speed was giving the Cowboys secondary fits on Sunday, and his breakout performance (10 catches, 189 yards) will likely give the Giants plenty of cause to design more plays that fit his impressive route running and ankle breaking abilities.

Who To Bench: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, Cleveland Browns

Was anyone starting Beckham? Frankly, I’m not sure. He’s a tempting option for managers like myself every year to bring in as a lottery ticket. And there are plenty of reasons for doing so: everyone knows Beckham has the raw talent. He was, at one point in time, the league’s most electrifying receiver, and he’s still far from old at only 28. In the first few weeks, there were signs that bringing in the former star as a late round flier would be a shrewd move- he notched nine and seven targets in his first two games of the season – indicating his role was perhaps starting to grow. But the Browns’ Sunday shootout against the Chargers proved those first two performances might have been a false dawn for the ever-awaited OBJ resurgence. Sunday was set to be an ideal game for OBJ to shine, with Cleveland throwing 32 passes (one away from a season high total)- but he only put up two catches for 20 yards on three targets. It’s unlikely with the Browns’ stellar backfield tandem of Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt that they are ever going to really air it out more than they did against the Chargers. Beckham’s volume might only decrease from here as the Browns keep the ball on the ground in lower scoring games.

Who To Pick Up: Khalil Herbert, RB, Chicago Bears (Owned in 4.7% of leagues)

Gehrig Smalstig- 

Who To Start: Leonard Fournette, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Fournette has only seen his role grow as the year has gone on, and, with the exception of a week three bust performance, has hit double digits in PPR every week. The Buccaneers’ passing attack is lethal and certainly should be the focus of opposing defenses. Recently, that has opened up running lanes for Fournette to take advantage of. Most notable is the fact that Lenny is now the obvious RB1 when it looked like he could still be the understudy to Ronald Jones. Best of all this week is the matchup with the Eagles, who have limited fantasy scoring through the air while being awfully soft on the ground. Start Fournette and expect a productive week with a big touchdown upside.

Who To Sit: Melvin Gordon, RB, Denver Broncos

This is probably the last time that you’ll see Gordon’s name on these lists, barring an injury to Broncos rookie RB Javonte Williams. Williams has been leading in attempts from the jump and it’s only getting worse for Gordon’s sake. Gordon has lost a step in the last few years and will likely assume a backup role for the rest of the time that he is in the league. He did have a couple of homerun touchdowns in the early weeks, but he lacks the explosiveness of a back that could keep that reputation for a whole year. 

Who To Pick Up: Darrel Williams, RB, Kansas City Chiefs

Jamison Cook- 

Who To Start: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Chase is developing into a must-start every week no matter the matchup, but this week’s upcoming contest with the Lions makes him an absolute lock in all leagues. The rookie receiver out of LSU had a whopping 10 targets last week, six of which he caught for 159 yards and a touchdown. It was his fifth touchdown of the season, and he has firmly established himself as one of Joe Burrow’s top targets alongside Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. Vikings’ WR Justin Jefferson tore up the Detroit secondary for 124 yards on seven catches a week ago, and I expect a similar performance from Chase this upcoming week.

Who to Sit: Miles Sanders, RB, Philadelphia Eagles

Sanders has been downright disappointing this season in every aspect. He has not had more than 15 carries in any game this season and the carries have been declining every week. He does not have a single rushing or receiving touchdown through five weeks and has only scored double-digit fantasy points twice. After scoring 17.3 fantasy points in Week 1, Sanders has only managed 33.2 fantasy points in total since. Heralded for his receiving abilities, Sanders has caught just 16 passes in five weeks, never totaling more than 39 receiving yards. A tough matchup against Tampa Bay does not provide any hope of improvement this week.

Who To Pick Up: Tim Patrick, WR, Denver Broncos (Owned in 29.7% of leagues)

Tags:

About Sam Ouhaj

Contact Sam

About John Kalemkerian

Contact John

About J.J. Post

Contact J.J.

About Gehrig Smalstig

Contact Gehrig

About Jamison Cook

Contact Jamison