-

-

irish insider

Bo Bauer posts standout senior year ahead of possible postseason success

| Friday, November 19, 2021

The 2021 season has proven to be a breakout one for senior linebacker Bo Bauer. After posting consistent stats during games early on in the year, his best performance came in none other than the highly-anticipated rivalry game against USC, when the linebacker intercepted the ball and ran it all the way to the four yard line. Despite the lighthearted teasing that came with ultimately being taken down by the Trojans quarterback — which Bauer admitted to — the defender cemented himself as an integral part of the Notre Dame defense. 

His success did not end after the opponent in red departed South Bend. This year, the linebacker has already surpassed his previous stats in every category; he has notably posted 35 total tackles, coming in at sixth overall on the team. Despite these impressive personal stats, Bauer emphasized his place among his fellow defenders, and how they work together as a functioning unit as opposed to several moving parts, especially during impressive plays.

“A lot of great guys on our team,” Bauer said. “Gotta be one eleventh, and so on that play, ten other guys were doing what they needed to do and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

He has continued to progress game by game and he uses each game to prepare for the next. For example, Bauer led to a two-point conversion against Virginia Tech the week before USC, which provided him the launching pad for even larger plays. Nine of his 35 tackles came in the Irish’s most recent matchup against UVA. 

“I was just kind of warming up the wheels,” Bauer said. “Maybe next time we’ll get in [the end zone].”

Bauer can always be counted on to bring energy to the field. One can usually find him hyping up his fellow defenders, channeling their enthusiasm into their gameplay. Though there is that vitality that comes with the game day atmosphere, Bauer said that there is nothing but respect for the other team at the end of the day.

“Respect your opponent, don’t fear your opponent,” Bauer said. “Just coming out and focusing on execution.”

Allison Thornton | The Observer
Irish senior linebacker Bo Bauer flies down the field during Notre Dame’s 34-6 win over Navy on Nov. 6 at Notre Dame Stadium.

He said that a lot of the time it’s like the Super Bowl for the other teams as they fight against the legacy that is Notre Dame football. Notre Dame fans have a similar energy level going into each matchup, and Bauer feeds off of this.

“We’ve got the greatest fans in the world and they show out when we need them,” he said. “I love to have our fans in there.”

Bauer will seek to take this momentum into the remainder of the season, as Notre Dame looks ahead to two final regular season games and a potential postseason run. No matter the outcome, the reset button has been pushed on defense, leaving the adjustments and mistakes in the past. Bauer has played a key role in this new trajectory. 

“We’re treating the second half as a new season,” Bauer said. “We’re trying to establish just high levels of execution and every day we just try to be great responders to what’s in front of us because at the end of the day those are the people who inherit trophies.”

Tags: ,

About Emily DeFazio

Contact Emily