Cole Capen: Blue, gold and red

Cole Capen is easy to find on the Notre Dame sideline, as his red visor stands out from the typical blue, gold, and green. Capen wears this visor because he is in charge of relaying the offensive plays to those on the field, acting as the middleman between offensive coordinator Tommy Rees in the booth and quarterback Jack Coan in the huddle. This role is evidently crucial to the success of the Irish offense, and it is one that Capen takes very seriously.

“I’m one of the signal callers, I’ve been that for two years now for the offense,” says Capen. “Basic responsibility is just coming up with signals and being that path of communication from Coach Rees to the players on the field.”

Capen has dreamed of being on the Notre Dame sideline since he was young, and his time as a part of the Irish football program has been a dream come true.

“There’s nothing like it really, like most people, it’s what I’ve wanted to do for most of my life,” says Capen. “To get that opportunity to walk on here and play has been indescribable. It’s been everything I could have ever dreamed of and more. Just the experiences I’ve had and the people I’ve talked to.”

1637252345-e031cef75c60a8c-635x700
Irish senior quarterback Cole Capen recites the Alma Mater following Notre Dame's 32-29 win over Toledo on Sep. 11 at Notre Dame Stadium.

During his time here as a walk-on, Capen has been a part of some great QB rooms. He described the mark this experience with a wide variety of Irish quarterbacks has left on him when asked about his favorite off the field memory here at Notre Dame.

“Off the field, it’s got to be just a combination of the four quarterback rooms I’ve been in,” he says. “We’ve always had a tight brotherhood, so just the little conversations we have in meetings, just our relationships with each other have been the highlight of my four years.”

Capen has also developed tight relationships with his fellow walk-ons here at Notre Dame. One of those is his good friend, WOPU Nation president, and fellow Badin Hall flag football coach, Jake Rittman.

“Like [Cole] said, he’s one of my best friends and we came in as Class of 2018 walk-ons,” Rittman says of Capen. “We’ve been close ever since freshman year, lived with him for two years, one of my best friends. Probably a friendship that’s going to last a lifetime, plan to keep in touch with him and try to see him as well as my other friends for as long as we can after we graduate.”

Speaking of post-graduation, Capen plans to attend law school, and he is currently in the midst of sending applications.