-

-

Sports

Irish earn series sweep against Wisconsin

| Monday, November 15, 2021

The No. 15 Notre Dame hockey team (8-3-0, 2-2-0-0-0-0 B1G) recorded a series sweep over the Wisconsin Badgers (4-8-0, 2-4-0-1-0-0 B1G) this past weekend at Compton Family Ice Arena to pick up their first Big Ten victories of the season.

In the series opener on Friday, the Irish pulled off a 5-1 victory after erasing an early 1-0 deficit.

The Badgers opened the scoring just two and a half minutes into the game off of a power play with Roman Ahcan of the Badgers picking up a clearing attempt in the faceoff circle and sending the puck past graduate student goaltender Matthew Galajda.

Although the Irish generated a multitude of chances throughout the second period, the Badgers were able to hold the Irish off and retain a one-goal lead after twenty minutes of play.

The Irish scored early on in the second period to tie it up, though, with sophomore forward Landon Slaggert scoring off of a deflection. Sophomore forward Ryder Rolston was credited with the assist on the play.

Just over two minutes later, the Irish struck again to get their first lead of the game at 2-1. This time it was junior forward Jesse Lansdell who found the back of the net by tipping in a tip-shot from senior defenseman Spencer Stastney.

Junior forward Trevor Janicke added another goal for the Irish later on in the period during an Irish power play. Janicke stationed himself just outside of the crease and moved the puck to his forehand to slip it into the back of the net for his fifth goal of the season.

The Irish tacked on two goals in the third period to win by a commanding score of 5-1. Both goals came off the stick of junior forward Max Ellis. The first goal came off of a rebound and the second goal came off of an empty netter in the game’s dying minutes. Those goals were good for the sixth and seventh goals of the season for Ellis, making him the team’s leading scorer.

The Irish recorded the victory on Saturday night as well with a 3-0 victory to earn a series sweep over Wisconsin.

The Irish grabbed the lead at the 7:26 mark in the first period with sophomore forward Grant Silianoff finishing off a passing sequence in the front. The Silianoff goal was set up by passes from senior defenseman Nick Leivermann and Ryder Rolston.

The Badgers earned some power plays at the end of the first period, but the Irish successfully staved off the Badgers to retain their 1-0 lead.

Then at the 19:13 mark of the first period, Leivermann scored during a four-on-four segment to give the Irish a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period.

The Irish then tacked on their third goal of the game with just a minute left in the second period with freshman forward Hunter Strand following up on his own shot that hit the post and forcing the rebound over the goal line. That goal was good for Strand’s third of the season.

The Irish would hold the Badgers scoreless to ultimately win by a score of 3-0. The shutout was Galajda’s second of the season and 21st of his career, which is tied for third all-time in NCAA Men’s Division I history. The Irish were also phenomenal on the power play kill in this one, holding the Badgers to 0 for 6 on the day. The Irish have allowed just two power-play goals all season.

The Irish will hit the road next weekend to face the second-ranked Michigan Wolverines (10-2, 5-1-0-0-0-0 B1G).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,