-

-

Sports

Irish record series sweep against Holy Cross

| Monday, November 8, 2021

The Irish hockey team improved to 6-3 on the season this past weekend with a sweep of Holy Cross at the Compton Family Ice Arena. On Thursday and Friday, the Irish won by scores of 5-2 and 4-1 in their two games.

In Thursday’s victory, the Irish started out quickly, scoring just 31 seconds into the first period. It was junior forward Max Ellis who scored for the Irish, scoring off of a rebound gathered at the far post. The assists went to freshman defenseman Jake Boltmann and junior forward Jesse Lansdell.

The Irish tacked on another goal midway through the first period with Jake Boltmann scoring his first career goal for the Irish, getting the puck past Holy Cross goaltender Matt Radomsky.

The Irish would take a 3-0 lead in the third period several minutes later at the 17:16 mark of the period. This time it was senior Graham Slaggert redirecting a Chase Blackmun shot into an open net for his third goal of the year. Senior defenseman Nick Leivermann was credited with the assist on the play.

Holy Cross got on the board at the 6:07 mark of the second period with Mike Higgins slipping a shot past Irish graduate student goaltender Matthew Galajda to bring the score to 3-1. That goal was the first goal that the Irish gave up on a power play this season. It ended their penalty kill streak at 30.

The Irish were able to tack on another goal at the beginning of the third period to take a commanding 4-1 lead with Graham Slaggert tipping in his second goal of the game. That marked Slaggert’s first career multi-goal game.

Junior forward Jesse Lansdell then scored his first goal of the season on an open netter at the 17:23 mark to secure a 5-2 victory for the Irish on Thursday night.

Although the Irish were not able to get out to as fast of a start on Friday night, they were able to find the back of the net multiple times at the end of the second period to secure a series sweep against the Crusaders.

In the first period, both teams had some solid looks on goal putting eight shots on goal, each. Both goaltenders saved all eight shots to keep the game scoreless.

Both teams failed to score at the beginning of a physical second period, which involved multiple fights on the ice.

The Irish were finally able to break through at the 16:20 mark of the second period with junior forward Solag Bakich finding the back of the net. It was senior defenseman Adam Karashik that found Bakich in the high slot. Bakich was able to wrist in his third goal of the season to give the Irish a 1-0 lead.

The Irish doubled their lead only minutes later at the 18:27 mark of the period. Graduate student forward Jack Adams scored his first career goal with the Irish off of a rebound in front of the net.

The scoring would continue for the Irish in the second period. Max Ellis sent a slapshot into the upper corner of the net with 42 seconds remaining in the second period. Ellis scored immediately after a faceoff win by Bakich. With those three goals in a span of just under three minutes, the Irish took a commanding 3-0 lead into the third period.

The Irish were able to add on another goal at the 13:27 mark of the third period with Ryder Rolston finding the back of the net to give the Irish a 4-0 lead.

Holy Cross was able to get on the scoreboard with less than five minutes left. Still though, the Irish held on to win by a comfortable 4-1 margin.

The Irish will try to record their first Big Ten wins of the season next weekend at home against the Wisconsin Badgers.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,