-

-

irish insider

Leo Albano ensures reliability where team needs him

| Friday, November 19, 2021

Senior running back Leo Albano has ensured he is a guy the Irish can rely on in practice. He has played an integral role on the scout team over the years, preparing the defense for the week’s offense.

“Just doing whatever the team needs to prepare for the next week whether that’s scout running back, scout special teams. Whatever they need.” Albano said.

His role simulating a running back option will be important this week as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets make it up to South Bend for senior day. Their biggest offensive threat will be freshman running back Jahmyr Gibbs, so Albano and the rest of the scout team have worked the defense to prepare them for his option.

Another time preparing for a star running back was the week leading up to the 2020 Clemson game on Nov. 7, when Albano and his squad prepared to host Travis Etienne. Albano said being a part of that win was something he’d never forget.

“The Clemson game both on the field as a team, as a player and after the game. That was the best memory of college for sure.” Albano said.

It didn’t take long after arriving on campus for Albano to buy into the Notre Dame atmosphere. His high school prepped him to be here.

“So the combination of athletics and academics and really just it being a Catholic university,” Albano said. “I went to Catholic high school we actually played the fight song running out of our tunnel in high school so that was really interesting. After every touchdown, we’d play the fight song too so it was weird going from that and then I guess nothing changed from high school to this which was cool.”

Photo Courtesy of ND Athletics
Irish senior running back Leo Albano runs out of the tunnel ahead of Notre Dame’s 32-29 win over Toledo on Sep. 11 at Notre Dame Stadium.

Once he got here, Albano said he was immediately ready to buy into the dorm life and campus tradition.

“I actually room with my roommates from freshman year,” Albano said. “All those guys, I still hang out with them. And so I guess just that the dorm family, it really is different than any other school. I wouldn’t get to experience that as an athlete at any other schools that I know of, and it’s just special.”

After school, Albano intends to use his chemical engineering degree to work in the oil and gas industry.

Tags: ,

About Mannion McGinley

Mannion McGinley is a junior American Studies and Sociology major with a Journalism minor. She is a member of the Glynn Family Honors program and is Sports Department Editor at The Observer.

Contact Mannion