-

-

senior day 2021

Marcus Thorne balances neuroscience, football as Irish walk-on

| Friday, November 19, 2021

Senior cornerback Marcus Thorne’s story starts with his father, Marcus Thorne Sr. Though the name stands out as the immediate commonality, the Thorne’s share more than just the same birth certificate — like his son, Marcus Sr. was also a walk-on at Notre Dame, himself in the Lou Holtz era, putting together a solid Irish career as a fullback.

Marcus Jr., however, joined the Irish on the other side of the ball, as a cornerback. The Washington, Indiana native took a preferred walk-on offer to stay in his home state of Indiana and play for Notre Dame. Impressing on both sides of the ball at Washington High School though his senior season was limited by injuries, Thorne totaled four touchdowns as a receiver, as well as 27 tackles and an interception at defensive back in just six games. He spurned several other options — including Davidson, Rice and Washington University of St. Louis in favor of continuing his athletic and academic career in South Bend.

Graduating with a degree in neuroscience, Thorne appears set to follow in the footsteps of his parents, both of whom are doctors themselves. In a 2018 interview after his signing day, Thorne said he hopes to become either a neurosurgeon or a spine surgeon. Following a four-year career at Notre Dame balancing a staggering schedule of commitment both on and off the field, Thorne undoubtedly is ready to pursue whichever path he now prefers.

Tags: ,

About Aidan Thomas

A junior marketing and ACMS major at Notre Dame, I've countered the success I've enjoyed as a New England sports fan with the painful existence of a Notre Dame football fan.

Contact Aidan