-

-

ND Volleyball

Mike Johnson will not return as volleyball head coach

| Monday, December 6, 2021

Mike Johnson will not be returning as Notre Dame volleyball’s head coach next fall, vice president and James E. Rohr director of athletics Jack Swarbrick announced Friday. After four seasons with the Irish, Johnson’s contract will not be renewed for the 2022-2023 season.

The reason for Johnson’s release is unclear, but as of Monday his page on und.com had been removed, leaving only four names listed as part of the coaching staff.

At the moment, Katie Wilson sits at associate head coach, with assistant coaches Kindra Gillen and Victoria Brisack. Brisack is a volunteer. The team’s director of operations Alex Carr is also listed on the website. 

With five seniors representing the most veteran group on the team, the squad has only known this coaching staff. The seniors, however, started just as Johnson took over.

The Irish went 13-15 (10-8 in conference matchups) under Johnson this season. They closed the season with a fall to No. 1 Louisville, losing 3-1 in four sets in Kentucky. 

Over his four seasons, Johnson was 63-41 and led the Irish to back-to-back NCAA tournaments, the first in 2019 and again in the 2020-2021 season. In 2020, the team finished second in the ACC, the highest ACC ranking in program history.

“We’re thankful for all Mike has done for the Notre Dame volleyball program,” Swarbrick said in a press release. “His passion for the sport has been evident throughout his tenure and we wish Mike and his family nothing but the best as he continues his career.”

Swarbrick said Notre Dame will immediately start a national search for the program’s seventh head coach.

Tags: , , , , ,