-

-

Football

Williams and Hamilton declare for draft, will not play in Fiesta Bowl

| Friday, December 10, 2021

Irish juniors, safety Kyle Hamilton and running back Kyren Williams, declared for the 2022 NFL Draft on Friday afternoon.

The pair each sent statements out through social media, thanking their teammates, friends, coaches, families, professors, fans and the greatest university in the world.

Hamilton earns accolades despite shortened season

Hamilton, standing at 64 and 220 lbs., had 35 tackles on the season, 19 alone and 16 assisted. All of this tacked on to 139 career tackles, 87 of which were solos. Hamilton started the season on both the Walter Camp and the Associated Press Preseason All-American Teams. He opened week one as the Lott IMPACT player of the week. In week three, he put on a show against the Purdue Boilermakers, grabbing his third interception in as many games and tying a career-high of 10 tackles.

Because of that performance, Hamilton earned three defensive awards in one week. He earned The Athlon and Walter Camps Defensive Player of the Week awards. He added the Bednarik Award Player of the Week for his efforts. At midseason, The Associated Press maintained his position on their All-American roster. CBS Sports and The Athletic kept Hamilton on their All-American First Teams.

Despite suffering a season-ending injury in the first quarter of Notre Dames 31-16 win over USC, Hamilton still made the Walter Camp First Team All-American to end the season. This was announced just 16 hours before Hamilton made his decision to depart.

The relationships I have made the past three years are invaluable, Hamilton said. And remind me that my decision as a 17-year-old to come to the University of Notre Dame was the best decision of my life.

Williams captains Irish offense

Hamiltons junior year exit is one that Irish fans expected but Williams flew a bit further under the radar. That is until his season took an upward turn and the running back took off — quite literally.

The 59 running back posted his second 1000+ yard season in two years this season with 1002 yards. Last year, he came up with 1125. Hes had 31 touchdowns in his career at Notre Dame, 17 of them this season. Williams has also turned himself into a reliable receiving option this year. He had 42 receptions on the year for 359 yards (out of 675 career receiving yards) and three touchdowns.

Williams was also named to the Associated Press Preseason All-American Team. Williams has been on the Paul Hornung Award honor roll five different times: week three, week six and weeks 8-10.

Neither Hamilton nor Williams will compete in the Fiesta Bowl; the Irish take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Jan. 1.

About Mannion McGinley

Mannion McGinley is a class of 2023 American Studies and Sociology major with a Journalism minor. She is a member of the Glynn Family Honors program and is Sports Department Editor at The Observer.

Contact Mannion