Fencing comes home for DeCicco Duals

Notre Dame fencing is back in action this weekend as they host the DeCicco Duals on Saturday and Sunday at the Castellan Family Fencing Center.

Last time out, Notre Dame put together two outstanding meets at St. John’s and UPenn where the men’s and women’s teams combined for a 17-1 against multiple top-10 opponents.

Last weekend was crucial for the Irish as they measured up against teams they will likely meet again at the NCAA Championships in March. It was an opportunity to issue a statement of intent to all the other elite fencing programs and ensure that they are the defending champions who will not go down without a fight. The DeCicco Duals offer a different kind of opportunity.

“This home event is one of the only chances we get to fence at home, so usually it's a fun competition,” senior épée Miriam Grady said. “With everyone here, we can usually rotate a lot of different people, so you get a chance to see someone who typically doesn't start be able to fence. So, that’s always pretty special.”

At last year’s Duals, seven fencers made their season debuts for the Irish as the team swept the meet going 8-0 at home on their way to their 11th national title.

This year’s field at the Duals has a strong Midwest feel with visiting schools Northwestern, Wayne State, Lawrence, Detroit Mercy and Cleveland State. The Irish also host Wagner and LIU coming from New York.

This is Notre Dame’s second time facing Wayne State following Ohio State’s Elite Invitational in December. This is where the Irish recorded dominant wins over the Warriors with a 22-5 victory for the men and 26-1 trouncing for the women. In November, the women’s team also faced Northwestern, Denison and LIU going 3-0 including a perfect 27-0 win over Denison.

The competition also plays host to a number of club teams every year with Florida, Purdue, UChicago, Michigan, Indiana and Case Western Reserve University bringing their rosters to South Bend to face the defending national champions.

“While [the competition] is not as strong, that gives our full roster a chance to fence which is always really special,” Grady added. “We have so many talented fencers on our team. And because only a limited amount can travel at any given time, it’s always, I think, a good opportunity for some of the younger fencers or some of that talent that usually doesn’t get a chance to fence, especially at home.”

Notre Dame will host the DeCicco Duals all day on Saturday and Sunday at the Castellan Family Fencing Center.