Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Irish come off record breaking weekend, look towards Lenny Lyles Invitational

The Notre Dame track and field team will make its way to Louisville, Kentucky, this weekend to compete in the Lenny Lyles Invitational. They will be coming off of a slew of stellar performances from the Notre Dame Invitational last weekend, and will seek to improve their stats even more as the season progresses.

Several athletes placed first in their events, giving themselves big shoes to fill moving forward. In field events, freshman Jadin O’Brien placed first in the long jump with 5.82m, while freshman Madison Schmidt also came out on top in high jump (1.68 m). The Irish swept the weight throw category with sophomore Michael Shoaf’s mark of 19.46 m and graduate student Rachel Tanczos’ 20.74m, while freshman Nolan Blachowski placed first in the men’s pole vault (4.75 m). Shoaf also took home the men’s shot put title at 18.54 m.

Junior Olivia Markezich won the women’s mile (4:46.57), while graduate student Erin Sullivan notched a first place finish in the women's 800 (2:09.57). However, it was graduate student Yared Nuguse who posted the show-stopping performance of the day by clocking in at a time of 3:54.46 for the men’s mile. Several athletes also claimed their personal bests last weekend, making it a day of setting new goals that the Olympian and his fellow teammates will hope to surpass on Saturday.