-

-

Sports

Irish use dominant second period to rout Eagles

| Friday, January 21, 2022

The thirteenth-ranked Irish defeated Boston College in dominant fashion by a score of 8-2 on Wednesday night at the Compton Family Ice Arena behind a five goal second period, in which the Irish took advantage of multiple power play opportunities. The attendance at Compton on Wednesday night was over 4,000, and plenty of students were there to help lead the Irish to a convincing victory.

The Irish were led by sophomore forward Ryder Rolston, who recorded his first career hat trick, and graduate student goaltender Matthew Galajda, who saved 40 of 42 shots on target for an outstanding save percentage of 0.952.

The special teams play of the Irish proved to be the difference with the Irish going 3-for-5 on power plays while holding the Eagles to 0-for-5 on power plays.

Notre Dame improved to 17-7-0 overall on the season and finished its regular season non-conference play with a record of 8-2-0.

Although the Irish won in dominating fashion, the start of the game was anything but a dominating performance from Notre Dame. Despite winning the opening faceoff, the Irish immediately gave up the puck, and the Eagles flew down the ice to score just seventeen seconds into the game.

Over the next several minutes, the Irish would make more mistakes and get called for two separate penalties. The Irish were able to successfully hold off the ensuing Eagles’ power plays, however, and stay within one goal of the Eagles.

Just over mid-way through the first period, the Irish knotted the score at one apiece off the stick of sophomore forward Grant Silianoff. Silianoff tipped in a shot-pass from senior defenseman Nick Leivermann, and although it was ruled a no goal on the ice initially, the call would be overturned to award the Irish their first goal of the game.

The game changed drastically at the start of the second period, after the Irish challenged a no-call for illegal contact on the Eagles at the end of the first. Upon review, a five minute major penalty was issued to open the second period. The Irish were quick to capitalize off of their first power play of the game, with senior defenseman Spencer Stastney burying one in the back of the net just 54 seconds into the power play.

Although the Irish were unable to score over the remaining four minutes of the major penalty, they continued to generate plenty of chances throughout the second period. Rolston broke through for the Irish at the 11:32 mark of the period, scoring off of a wrist shot from the circle. Rolston was assisted by junior forward Solag Bakich.

Junior forward Trevor Janicke then found the back of the net less than two minutes later to increase the Irish lead to 4-1. Janicke’s eighth goal of the season came off of a beautiful one timer that was set up by Stastney and sophomore forward Landon Slaggert.

Just when it looked like the Irish could not dominate the game more, the Eagles were charged with another five minute major penalty for illegal checking from behind. This power play would set up a goal from junior forward Jesse Lansdell just over fifteen minutes into the period. A couple of minutes later Rolston scored his second of the period to give the Irish a commanding 6-1 lead at the end of a dominant second period.

Galajda was also sensational in net for the Irish during the second period, recording 13 saves over the course of the period.

The Eagles cut into the Irish lead early in the third period to bring the margin to 6-2, but the Irish were able to kill an Eagles’ power play a couple of minutes later to retain a comfortable lead.

At the 8:19 mark of the period, the Irish added to their tally with senior forward Graham Slaggert slipping the puck underneath the goaltender to score his seventh goal of the season. Slaggert was assisted by his brother, Landon, on the play.

The Irish then ended the game in emphatic fashion with Rolston completing his hat trick bid at the 19:42 mark of the final period to finish off a commanding 8-2 victory for the Irish.

The eight goals that the Irish scored on Wednesday was the highest goal total that the Irish have recorded against the Eagles since the 1971-1972 season when the Irish won 14-3 at Chicago Stadium.

Grant Silianoff finished off the day with four points with 1 goal and 3 assists, which was the first four-point game by an Irish player this season.

The Irish will have this weekend off before facing Minnesota the following weekend at the Compton Family Ice Arena.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,