-

-

This election season, engage with your candidates

| Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The campaigning period for the Student Body President and Vice President Election is now underway. Two tickets received the required number of signatures to become official candidates. These tickets, listed in alphabetical order by the last name of the candidate for president, are:

Patrick Lee (president)  |  Sofia Stitt (vice president)

Sierra Stinson (president)  |  Dane Sherman (vice president)

Judicial Council, the Election Committee and the candidates have been hard at work to give you, the student body, the ability to interact with the tickets and make an informed decision on Election Day: Wednesday, February 2 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Based on the tremendous support you’ve given these candidates by signing petitions, we are fully confident that this election cycle will generate significant dialogue and participation.

To further that end, we encourage you to follow campaign social media accounts, visit campaign websites, read physical campaigning materials and discuss the election with your friends. Furthermore, Judicial Council will be holding a Student Body President and Vice President Debate on Monday, January 31 at 8 p.m. at Midfield Commons in Duncan Student Center. We hope that you will be able to attend to hear firsthand from the candidates seeking your vote and to understand the differences between them. Additionally, in order to ensure that the questions at this debate tackle the issues you care about most, we invite you to submit questions through this form.

We realize that being a Notre Dame student is a busy role, and that with clubs, jobs, research and other extracurricular activities stacked on top of classes, you may need some motivation to tune into this year’s Student Body Elections. The Student Body President and Vice President have more of an impact on your life at Notre Dame than you may think. They vote on the allocation of $190 of your tuition per year to various student activities; they influence the amount of resources available to fund your clubs, residence halls and other organizations; they represent the student body to University administration and the Notre Dame Police Department; and they directly advise Fr. Olinger and the Division of Student Affairs on student life policies. All these responsibilities are bestowed on your elected leaders with the understanding that they represent the views of you: the student body. Your participation in this election ensures that this ideal becomes a reality.

Last year, the Student Body President and Vice President Election achieved the highest turnout in three years and had not a single instance of election misconduct. Let’s make this year’s election just as clean and fair. As a reminder, candidates and those working on their campaigns must abide by the rules of the Constitution, particularly Article XV, Sections 1 and 2. If you have any questions about how these rules are applied, or any other questions pertaining to elections, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected].

Have a great week and Go Irish,

David Haungs

junior, Judicial Council President

Koryn Isa

sophomore, Judicial Council Vice President of Elections

Jan. 25

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]