University hits 90% booster vaccine goal, plans to lift indoor masking requirement Feb. 4

The University campus community achieved over a 90% compliance rate with the required COVID-19 booster requirement, interim provost Chris Maziar announced in an email Friday afternoon.

The email stated the University hopes to lift the indoor masking requirement and restrictions on University-sponsored travel and gatherings on Feb. 4 — two weeks after the booster deadline, when the campus community will reach full protection from the boosters. Until then, the email asks that students continue masking and maintain social distancing, both on and off campus.

“We will continue to monitor case rates closely, in partnership with public health officials, to be sure we can safely take these steps at that time,” the email said.

The email addressed the rising case numbers both on campus and in the local community but stated the University hopes the campus numbers will peak soon, based on public health experts’ predictions.

Everyone who has not uploaded their booster documentation is encouraged to do so as soon as possible.

The email concluded by congratulating the campus community on reaching the 90% goal and encouraging the community to continue its efforts.

“Let’s continue to be generous with ourselves and one another, and do our best to embody the compassion and kindness that have always characterized this community,” the email said.