-

-

Sports

Women’s basketball defeats Syracuse 83-62 for fourth win in last five contests

| Friday, January 28, 2022

Notre Dame women’s basketball dispatched Syracuse Thursday night, pulling away late in the fourth quarter to leave Purcell Pavilion with a 83-62 victory.

It was a slow start for the Irish, who saw themselves trailing the Orange 21-19 at the end of the first quarter. The upset watch wouldn’t last for long in South Bend however, as Notre Dame slowly but surely chipped away at the Syracuse defense in the second and third quarter.

In the fourth quarter the Irish turned on the steam, posting 30 points in just ten minutes, their highest scoring quarter of the game, and pushed their lead to more than 20 points.

Sonia Citron was the star of the show in the runaway fourth, with the freshman posting 10 of her 13 points as well as four of her team-high 12 rebounds in the final frame to power Notre Dame’s impressive finish.

Olivia Miles also had a big day for the Irish, leading the team with 17 points as well as a game-high nine assists. Miles was present on the boards as well, taking down 10 rebounds to put her a single assist away from a triple double.

Efficiency proved crucial for the Irish as they pulled away from the Orange, as Notre Dame outshot Syracuse from the field by a dramatic margin. The Irish shot 41% from behind the arc in addition to going nearly 50% from the field, whereas the Orange shot only 37% from the field and could only manage 15% from three.

The Irish were also dominant down low in the win, steadily out rebounding Syracuse on both the offensive and defensive glass. Notre Dame brought down 58 total boards as well as 20 crucial offensive rebounds to give themselves second chances, whereas the Orange only managed 29 total rebounds, with 13 on the offensive side.

Looking ahead, Notre Dame will now prepare for something of a revenge game over the weekend, as Boston College comes to South Bend for the second match of a three game Irish home stand on Sunday. The Eagles proved tougher than their 5-4 conference record would indicate in the last matchup between the two teams on January 20th, downing the Irish 73-71 in a frustrating outing for Notre Dame in Chestnut Hill.

Guard Cameron Swartz was the difference maker for the Eagles in that game with the Irish, posting a game-high 28 points to go with five rebounds as well as four assists. Containing Swartz as well as Makayla Dickens and Taylor Soule, Boston College’s two other high scorers from last week’s matchup (20 and 15 points respectively), will likely be Head Coach Niele Ivey’s top priority as she gets her team ready for the weekend. If the Irish can force the Eagles into an inefficient shooting day from the field like they did Syracuse on Thursday, they should be able to avenge their earlier loss.

Notre Dame will take on Boston College this Sunday at Purcell Pavilion at 2 pm. The game will be broadcast on the ACC Network.